1954 Olds 98 rear drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM

1954 Olds 98 rear drum brakes

On a 1954 98, four door sedan, How do the rear wheel drum brakes come off the rear axle after removing the wheel? then If the power break master cylinder goes dry, what do I do to bring them up to working brakes again. I know brakes, just not this kind of car?? Thank You. dodgerampickup July / 22 / 2012.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM

I am not familiar with your car, but in that era, the brake drums were held onto the axle with a very large nut that screwed onto the end of the axle. The hub, which is part of the drum has a tapered hole in the center that slides over the end of the axle, and the nut keeps it on. There is a key way in the axle that keeps the drum from spinning on the axle. You need a brake drum puller to remove these drums, a big hammer, and a lot of patience and perseverance to get them off. It is the kind of a job that you will break a sweat even it is 20 degrees below zero.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by dodgerampickup
On a 1954 98, four door sedan, How do the rear wheel drum brakes come off the rear axle after removing the wheel? then If the power break master cylinder goes dry, what do I do to bring them up to working brakes again. I know brakes, just not this kind of car?? Thank You. dodgerampickup July / 22 / 2012.
On the rear wheels there isn't a large nut to undo, if the drum doesn't slip off after the wheel has been removed you may have to compress the brake shoes by rotating the star adjuster located and accessed from the back of the backing plate. There is a special tool used for this but I've done a bunch of them using a large screwdriver. This will allow the drum to clear the shoe and be removed. If your master cylinder is low or dry first find out where the fluid went.Check all the wheel cylinders and brake lines for wet spots.Then bleed the brakes. There is a bleeder for the master cylinder at a junction block for the front and back wheel cylinders located near the master cylinder, bleed this first then precede bleeding the brakes as you would any other car, farthest wheel from the master cylinder first. With power brakes don't start the engine till finished. What I have described is what I do on a 55 Olds and I think a 54 would be the same. Some one step in here if I have missed somthing or you don't agree...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; July 22nd, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:54 AM

I forgot to mention when you replace the drum re tighten the shoes till the drum will not rotate then back off 12-14 clicks on the star adjuster till the drum rotates freely, try to do all the wheels the same. Keep the master cylinder reservoir full all the time.....Tedd
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM

Tedd is correct. I would only add that some GM cars of that ear were known to have a spring steel fastener on one of the studs that has to be taken off by screwing it off, before the drum may be removed.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM

The 1954 olds 98 power brake left rear wheel cylinder leaked out and the power brake master cylinder dipstick at the left lower engine compartment at the steering colume shows nothing. It is dry. On this car you can not see a resivour. Just the dipstick with no markings on it. 1955 and 56 should work for reference.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Tedd is correct. I would only add that some GM cars of that ear were known to have a spring steel fastener on one of the studs that has to be taken off by screwing it off, before the drum may be removed.
I was told that those clips were used to keep the drums from vibrating off on the assembly line. Most guys just broke them off the trashed them.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by dodgerampickup
The 1954 olds 98 power brake left rear wheel cylinder leaked out and the power brake master cylinder dipstick at the left lower engine compartment at the steering colume shows nothing. It is dry. On this car you can not see a reservoir. Just the dipstick with no markings on it. 1955 and 56 should work for reference.
The dipstick hole is the filler for the reservoir, I know it is small but that is where you fill the master cylinder. I use a squeeze ketchup bottle with a plastic funnel attachedto a two foot piece of 1/4 clear vinyl hose, keeps the mess down to a minimum. Hose everything down with water after you complete the job brake fluid will eat the paint off everything it gets on...Tedd
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM

What is the capacity of the power brake master cylinder when full? Any yes i can see this is going to be a mess with fluid all over otherwise. You have no idea where the level is at..... Are there no marks at all on the brake fluid dip stick?? Is that right and/or correct?? If it is dry, does the tredal vac power brake system need any repairs?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM

I fill the master cylinder up till the fluid is about 1/4 inch from the top of the dipstick when it is screwed down. There are no marks on any of the dipsticks from that era also there shouldn't be any problem with the treadle vac unless time has dried out the seals. If this is a recent problem with the wheel cylinder and it worked before it's doubtful that the master will have to be rebuilt. Did you drive this car before the wheel cylinder gave out?

As far as the amount of fluid you will need I would buy at least a quart remember you will be bleeding all the lines and it could take more if you have trouble with a bubble you can't get out. Don't reuse any old fluid it's not a penny saved, it will cost you in the long run.....Tedd
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Drove the car last four years ago. and no issues. The left rear wheel cylinder gave out while sitting and I went to use the car and no brakes. I am strongly considering replacing the right rear wheel cylinder too. I do not think the tredal vac or the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt at this point but I will see... I do not reuse brake fluid. Thank You very much for your Help in placing my car back on the road. I am also having to rebuild the carburator due to the both the primary and secondary floats are filled with gas. When I started it, it died because it was flooded with gas. Took off the batwing and there was a pool. I cannot let the cars sit. Have to use them. dodgerampickup