Opinions on Wilwood Disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2018, 05:59 PM

Opinions on Wilwood Disc brakes

Curious what the general consensus/experience with this upgrade is. Worthwhile or waste of time? Better than stock drums? Stock discs? https://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/1...96-DR/10002/-1
Old November 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
same but different

I feel disc are better than drums. I have no experience with this kit but feel the stock system would always be easier to get parts for come 4 or 5 years down the road. I mean you can most likely get replacement factory parts at your local store where as any aftermarket kit your limited to the maker or the supplier (jeggs) having these available, but I could be wrong.

That is how I see things. I'll add that upgrading to disc brakes was the #1 best upgrade I feel I've done to my car and I think you'll really like it no matter what option you go with.
Old November 11th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's a lot of bling, but the rotors are the same size as OEM, which means that the swept brake area is the same, which means that stopping power is likely the same. Your call on if the cost is worth it to you. Personally, I'd go with OEM rotors and the Wilwood D52 calipers as an upgrade. These bolt to the OEM caliper brackets and use stock pads but have more piston area and thus more clamping force.

Old November 11th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Check this site out before you drop some large for front disc set up. https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/c...Full+Race.html good stuff.
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's a lot of bling, but the rotors are the same size as OEM, which means that the swept brake area is the same, which means that stopping power is likely the same. Your call on if the cost is worth it to you. Personally, I'd go with OEM rotors and the Wilwood D52 calipers as an upgrade. These bolt to the OEM caliper brackets and use stock pads but have more piston area and thus more clamping force.

. My '70 already has discs from what was probably a '69 442 installed but my '71 is drums.

Last edited by VI Cutty; December 17th, 2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Yeah, kinda blingy but they're what are included NIB with a car I'm considering, so they are what they are. Done right, my end cost on them would be next to nothing. I do have a set of stock disc spindles/backing plates, etc from a car I scrapped, so still debating. My '70 already has discs from what was probably a '69 442 installed but my '71 is drums.
The problem, of course, is that you have to get replacement pads from Wilwood. If it's a car you plan to keep, I'd go with OEM. If it's a car you plan to flip, buyers will be impressed by the bling.
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The problem, of course, is that you have to get replacement pads from Wilwood. If it's a car you plan to keep, I'd go with OEM. If it's a car you plan to flip, buyers will be impressed by the bling.
Yeah, they'd likely go onto the car I plan on keeping. Thanks!
Old November 12th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Hey, if it's already included, then why not?! Can always switch to a different setup later because these don't require any interesting modifications. It's all just bolt on. My only big question is the lines - do the calipers use the stock style ends on the lines? I don't know.
The footnotes are that you have to buy rotors and pads from Willwood. I like to have options when it comes to those so I stick to stock applications with a healthy after market.
Old November 12th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have the D52 Wilwood calipers/pads on my heavy 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Nice even wear, very good braking. Have them in black so to keep the red bling at a minimum.
I think you will be happy with them.

Eric