Wilwood D52 brake kit anyone using these?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

Wilwood D52 brake kit anyone using these?

I just ordered the wilwood D52 brake kit in black from summit, Just wondering if anyone in the 73-77 years have run these?. WIL-140-11291BK
or others that are currently using them.
I didn't get them for hard braking, racing or performance. Just like the look and the weight savings. I have already put the slotted/dimpled rotors on so I figured heck MAW go with nice new callipers.
Thanks
Eric H
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Hookers under Hood

I finally got around to installing the D52 2 piston brake calipers on my 76. The install went very well bled fine.
I also purchased the wilwood braided line kit.
The lines are great but the fittings are terrible, very short!!! Need longer threaded fittings for the calipers. I stripped the first five threads in the caliper with the fittings.
I had to put the original brake lines back in to get past the stripped threads.

I also had to clear ( file) a small section on the top of each caliper to clear for my Cragar rims.

These calipers due brake very nice and are lighter than the factory cast ones.

If anyone would like some picks I will post some.

I hope to be installing the wilwood master cylinder this coming weekend along with the chrome brake booster.

I hope this helps guys that are looking into lighter calipers.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; August 5th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old August 6th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the update. I've also been looking at these calipers and I'm curious as to their size relative to the stock calipers, particularly when it comes to clearing SSII wheels.

I'm also surprised that the piston area is only 6.28 sq in. The stock single piston calipers have 5.94 sq in.

I'm curious about stiffness of the calipers as well. Aluminum has only about 1/3 the stiffness of cast iron, so one would expect that these calipers will deflect more (open up) when you press the pedal. This means that slightly more pedal travel will be required for the same braking force, and I'm curious as to how that feels.
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

Joe, the pistons are slightly bigger than stock.
I'm not familiar with the SSII rims, however the pistons were very close fitting with the Cragars.
The caliper has about a 1/8 chamfer across the top front, I had to clear this by filling about a 1/2 rad.
Also I had to remove the inside stick on wheel weights as well and have to rebalance the tires, I hope to be able to move the weight more to the inside off the lip closest to the cragar rim.

The stiffness seems very good, while bleeding I noticed the pad would retract quickly when you let off the pedal.

I don't find to have to put more pedal into braking, the travel seems to be the same.

I would like to get better caliper fittings in order to use the stainless braided lines and remove factory rubber lines . They say the pedal will be much firmer with the upgraded lines. Although the pedal does seem fine with the original hoses.

The supplied brass fittings have about 1/2 of thread and must be careful when bottoming out while tightening, I would suggest not using them. I stripped one of the callipers only tightening by hand.

At this point I'm happy with the set-up, once I find a fitting with a 3/4 min - 1" thread length I will put the new lines on and provide an update on that.

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; August 6th, 2015 at 03:12 PM.