power steering Hose

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2014, 03:52 PM

power steering Hose

I have been trying to find a new power steering hose for my 77 CS with 403. I would have thought it was a simple thing, apparently not. Order 3 different hose from vendors who "claim" factory correct. Hell they would fit unless I used a cutting torch. Sent those back. Tried every on-line source, Gates, eldeman, federated, goodyear. They all want to sell me hoses for a 72 cutlass. Claim they "should fit" ,NO they don't. Tried local hydraulic hose places to have something made. None of them have the fitting with the metal tubes. Anyone have this issue? Know of any sources for a hose that will fit? Any source to make one. Anyone have the GM part number.
Thanks for looking.
Mike
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Administrator

If your not concerned about originality, you can get a hose made at the hydraulics place using compression fittings and your metal ends.
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM
72 Olds CS

why doesnt it fit ?

do you have a pic of the original one to compare to? did you look in the service manual to see what it should look like?

One my 72 i replaced the pressure hose, the new one I received was different than the one on there and would never fit liek the one on there, turns out the one on there was wrong and routed incorrect. the manual showed me the correct routing and once I knew that the replacemnt hose did fit and works fine !

I just looked on rockauto and the pics show the same hose bends for gates eldlemen and acdelco, i would assume this is the unit that doesnt fit correct?
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77
I have been trying to find a new power steering hose for my 77 CS with 403. I would have thought it was a simple thing, apparently not. Order 3 different hose from vendors who "claim" factory correct. Hell they would fit unless I used a cutting torch. Sent those back. Tried every on-line source, Gates, eldeman, federated, goodyear. They all want to sell me hoses for a 72 cutlass. Claim they "should fit" ,NO they don't. Tried local hydraulic hose places to have something made. None of them have the fitting with the metal tubes. Anyone have this issue? Know of any sources for a hose that will fit? Any source to make one. Anyone have the GM part number.
Thanks for looking.
Mike
Any competent hydraulic shop can put a new hose onto your fittings. Prolly cost less too. Find hydraulics hose repair in the yellow pages.

Tim
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Yes I do have the original. The repo's seem to turn the wrong way vs mine. I did check the CSM My orig seems correct. I wanted to replace because mine are a little cruddy looking plus there 40 years old.
I'll keep looking. Let you know if I find something
mike
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, if you have the original, why can't a local place with a hose crimper just put a new hose on your metal ends?

- Eric
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up Eric. I did find a guy who could "fix" my old ones. I did want to try and find something new. Making my engine compartment all pretty. The old metal tubes and nut are a bit nasty. Still lookin. I thought an OEM part# might help the search.
Mike
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Did you try 307 parts yet? 77 is a metric changeover year, so the pump fittings may be different.

Is this it? http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...br%3D36-355890

Or is it the other style?
http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...mann/71120.jpg

The second picture is the metric style, and the first is the standard style. If you have the 2nd style, you could probably order a hose from a 1980 delta 88 350 and use that. As I said, beware of the fitting differences on the back of the pump. You may need to swap the fitting to make either one work for you.
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Hi- J
The second one is the closes so far, The first is what most places list as "fitting" 77 403. Bends the wrong way. so the second one is for a 1980 307 delta ?
thanks so much for your help I will order one in. To bad I didn't know a week ago I just ordered a vacuum advance module from Rock auto.

Mike