Power Brake vac hookup

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Power Brake vac hookup

The complete 'E' engine I bought for rebuild has a steel line with a large plastic canister (check valve?) to the power booster. I have been unable to find any reference in service manual concerning this hook up. My current setup (67 4 spd, no air) is just a vac. hose directly to intake. Which way is "correct" or does it matter. Just curious as to why this type hookup and should I use it. The engine was for auto trans but don't know what year car it came out of. Could it possibly have been a disc brake car or 66 year vs 67?
Thanks for any info....
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by miked
The complete 'E' engine I bought for rebuild has a steel line with a large plastic canister (check valve?) to the power booster. I have been unable to find any reference in service manual concerning this hook up. My current setup (67 4 spd, no air) is just a vac. hose directly to intake. Which way is "correct" or does it matter. Just curious as to why this type hookup and should I use it. The engine was for auto trans but don't know what year car it came out of. Could it possibly have been a disc brake car or 66 year vs 67?
Thanks for any info....
The check valve should be the white plastic valve pressed into the booster itself. The large canister is a filter. The filter is not mandatory but it's a good idea to retain it if you want. Otherwise, all that matters is that the booster is connected directly to manifold vacuum with a 3/8" or larger hose or metal pipe.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks Joe, I learned something! Didn't realize that was a filter. I think I will use it because it looks nice with the brass fitting and metal pipe all shiney. Thanks again.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Joe, I meant to ask if there is any rhyme or reason why one car would have this filter and another would not.
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:29 PM
dre

Pedal Issue

Joe, when I have the hose connected and press the brake pedal with the car running, the pedal doesn't return, but it returns when the check valve is not connected. what could this be?

QUOTE=joe_padavano;502599]The check valve should be the white plastic valve pressed into the booster itself. The large canister is a filter. The filter is not mandatory but it's a good idea to retain it if you want. Otherwise, all that matters is that the booster is connected directly to manifold vacuum with a 3/8" or larger hose or metal pipe.[/QUOTE]
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dre
Joe, when I have the hose connected and press the brake pedal with the car running, the pedal doesn't return, but it returns when the check valve is not connected. what could this be?
Sounds like a bad control valve in the booster. The control valve senses when you press on the brake pedal and opens a valve in the back half of the booster that allows the back side of the diaphragm to come to atmospheric pressure. The front side is at manifold vacuum, so there's about 14 psi pressing on the diaphragm and the master cylinder. When you release the pedal, the control valve is supposed to close off the atmospheric vent and allow vacuum on the back side as well, so that the pressure (or lack thereof) is the same on both sides of the diaphragm. Your control valve is sticking or otherwise not working properly.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
dre

Thanks Joe! Do you suggest that I take the booster back to get a new one?
This was a brand new booster purchased from Jegs.