Need some Advice

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Need some Advice

Hello all,
I have a 69 Cutlass S that I am restoring. I recently completed a disc brake conversion as part of a complete front end rebuild. Everything went perfect, except for the brake pedal. I had an incredibly difficult time trying to get the brakes to bleed out and have a solid feeling pedal. After too many attempt to count I finally took the car to a shop and had them bleed the brakes with their equipment.
I now have a drive able car with brakes that function, however I still have a soft feel to the pedal and way too much brake pedal input is required to get the brakes to activate. I am totally stumped as to what I can do to get a normal feeling solid brake pedal. I know there is no air in the lines and I can lock the brakes up with full pedal input, but it just doesn't have that solid feel that I want.
Thanks for any Advice you can provide!
Robert

p.s. I would have posted in the Brake forum but being my first post I figured I had to post in the Noob folder. Thanks again. lol

Last edited by Seahawk; October 17th, 2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added text
Old October 17th, 2015, 12:51 AM

Just for more info, As part of the disc brake conversion I also changed the Master cylinder and Power booster. Brake lines are all clear as well.
Old October 17th, 2015, 03:07 AM

Did you change all the rubber lines? Old rubber lines may look fine, but can actually swell slightly when applying the brakes. It gives the brake pedal the spongy feel you describe.
Old October 17th, 2015, 12:55 PM

The rubber lines in the front are new. I didn't change the back lines because I had a good pedal before installing the new equipment up front. Could the new booster and Master cylinder be overpowering those back lines now?