Master Cylinder leak 1972 Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Master Cylinder leak 1972 Cutlass?

Hi all, after doing some research on the forum, I think I have narrowed
down the problem to my brake pedal going through the floor.

One side of the master cylinder reservoir has gotten lower compared to the other. The rear reservoir to be exact.

Theres also a small puddle under the car, but when I dipped my fingers in it, it didn't smell like brake fluid at all. Can I narrow this down to a master cylinder leak, or do the lines cross the car about where the firewall is? I didn't get a good look if the lines went to the back then crossed over or not.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Administrator

You need to see where the fluid is coming from, fix the leak, then bleed and adjust brakes. The rear reservoir is for the rear brakes.
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

If the rear reservoir is low, then the problem could be the master cylinder (especially if the level in the front reservoir keeps rising, or if you can feel a drop of brake fluid at the bottom of your brake booster), a leaking line or connection, or a leaking wheel cylinder.

The best thing to do is to get under the car and have someone else pump up the pedal until it has pressure, then hold it, while you look and listen for brake fluid squirting out.

If you don't find any leaks, then you have to remove the rear wheels and drums to see whether either (or both) of your wheel cylinders is wet.

- Eric
Old April 7th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Lansing built

Inspect the front of the powerbooster between the rear of the master cylinder. My master cylinder leaked at that point when the seal gave up.

Pat