LONG vacuum hose to booster

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2022, 08:53 PM

LONG vacuum hose to booster

If one were to happen to have a vacuum hose that left the fitting on the manifold, headed over and behind and under the brake booster, went back across the back of the intake, took a lap around the AC box to complete the Firewall World Tour then finally went over and plugged into the booster checkball fitting, would that accomplish ANYTHING more than just a normal foot long hose to from the manifold fitting to the checkball on the booster? Considering it is not to the checkball yet, any loss of engine vacuum is just going to lose that vacuum, as opposed to it being there as a buffer for brakes.

I think this was something stupid done by previous owner and I am about to shorten this hose dramatically.
Old June 28th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Administrator

I would shorten the hose to make a direct route.
Old June 28th, 2022, 09:23 PM

Yeah, no need for yards of hose length. The shortest length will operate the same.

FYI, the factory setup used a section of metal line off the manifold with a maybe 12” length of hose to the booster.

Old June 29th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

To answer the question, no, it won't have any effect at all (until that overly long hose gets old, cracks, and leaks ). Keep in mind that the booster really only operates based on the vacuum that's in it when you press the brake pedal. This is to provide power brakes for one or two applications even after the engine stalls. The hose simply allows the engine to "pump down" the booster for the next time you press the brake pedal. If you were thinking that the long hose somehow increases the volume of the booster, it doesn't if the hose is on the engine side of the check valve. Now if you somehow moved the check valve to the engine end of the long hose, or added a second one, then you'd have more volume and the hose would act like a small vacuum reservoir. This is how the aftermarket vacuum reservoirs are plumbed.
Old June 29th, 2022, 09:48 PM

And now for the rest of the story. I pulled one end of the hose tonight and started backing it out, and realized the loop going around the brake booster was not exactly a loop. There is a cleverly hidden large vacuum can inside the left fender behind the wheel. As the brakes do work well, I put the hose back on and will deal with it another time. The large loops of hose are to make the brake booster hose look like it goes to the intake. That metal piece is there, they simply undid it from the intake, put another hose on it to run it to the load side of the hidden vacuum can, then put another hose from the supply side to the intake.

Best picture I can manage at the moment. Thanks for advice so far.