Help please! Brake booster issue

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Help please! Brake booster issue

Need some more help please, I just installed a 8 in brake booster with my original mounting bracket and it looks 100% off, it looks way to high in the front. It’s at a crazy angle! Is this normal and if not how do I fix it??

I don’t think my hood will even close

thank you

Old February 20th, 2023, 08:49 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I thought those aftermarket boosters came with their own choice of brackets - either upward angled or a straight bracket option - maybe check with the company who made the booster? Some of the companies who offer these booster kits are MP Brakes (Master Power Brakes) and SSB (Stainless Steel Brakes). Possibly their angled brackets are less steeply graded due to the greater depth of the 8" booster over the stock Delco?
Old February 21st, 2023, 06:24 AM
Rodney

If that's a dual 8" booster and a stock 1-1/8" master cylinder, your braking force will be about 10% less than a stock disc brake system. If it's a single diaphragm booster your braking force will be about 30% less. Both of my calculations assume using the stock power brake hole in the brake pedal arm. You could drill a new hole in the pedal arm midway between the lower (power brakes) and the upper (manual brakes) to gain 20% more braking force at the calipers. This would allow you to change the angle of the booster for better hood clearance and still have a good angle on the booster input push rod.

Rodney
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
If that's a dual 8" booster and a stock 1-1/8" master cylinder, your braking force will be about 10% less than a stock disc brake system. If it's a single diaphragm booster your braking force will be about 30% less. Both of my calculations assume using the stock power brake hole in the brake pedal arm. You could drill a new hole in the pedal arm midway between the lower (power brakes) and the upper (manual brakes) to gain 20% more braking force at the calipers. This would allow you to change the angle of the booster for better hood clearance and still have a good angle on the booster input push rod.

Rodney
thanks for the info!!! It is a stock booster I just ordered decreased angle brackets, I’m also going to order a better booster, thank you again
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:34 PM
Rodney

What year is your car? I thought the stock booster was a single 11". My comments regarding less brake force were based on a 11" single diaphragm booster.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
What year is your car? I thought the stock booster was a single 11". My comments regarding less brake force were based on a 11" single diaphragm booster.

its 70 cutlass the booster I put in is a duel 8 inch, I just drilled a extra hole in between the 2 holes
Old February 23rd, 2023, 08:33 PM
Rodney

This combination; new hole in brake pedal with the dual 8" booster and a stock 1-1/8" master cylinder should provide 20% more braking force. I have question for you. Why did you switch to the dual 8" booster? Were you dissatisfied with the performance of the stock 11" booster?