Front Drum Spindles

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2020, 02:06 PM

Front Drum Spindles

While cleaning up my front drums on my 72 Cutlass Supreme, I noticed some wear and galling on the spindle bearing surfaces. Not a lot but enough to give me some concern. One spindle shows about .001" variance while the other shows .0025". See photos. It also appears there is wear on the back bearing surface at the large diameter end of the spindle.

Should I have these cleaned up and use them or should I replace them? I haven't been able to find any new replacement spindles for drums on line. I don't really want to convert to disk as I've already purchased new shoes, cylinders, springs, etc. The only drum spindles I've been able to find are on ebay and I can't tell if they have the same wear as mine or not based on the photos.

Thoughts anyone?

Old September 14th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Administrator

I don't think they are bad enough to require replacing. It does look like there was a lack of grease packed in the bearings at one time.
Old September 14th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've cleaned up similar spindles and used them. I'm not really concerned about the bearing surfaces because there is no relative motion between the inner race and the spindle in normal operation. I'd be more concerned about the surface the seal rubs on. That will tear up the seal. You can get a speedi-sleeve to repair that. I've used them on spindles with no issues.
Old September 15th, 2020, 01:47 PM

The outer bearing surface has similar wear but without most of the galling; .001' wear on one and .0025 on the other. Is that more of a concern. Also, do they make the speedi-sleeves for this application or will I just need to source on that fits the spindle large diameter.

Thanks,

Ron
Old September 15th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Administrator

I would not have a concern at all, the tapered bearings are self centering and ride on the races in the hub. As far as the inner seal, as long as you don't go nuts with the grease and just pack the bearings that sealing surface should be fine.
Old September 16th, 2020, 01:11 PM

Great! Thank you guy's for your help!

Ron
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've cleaned up similar spindles and used them. I'm not really concerned about the bearing surfaces because there is no relative motion between the inner race and the spindle in normal operation. I'd be more concerned about the surface the seal rubs on. That will tear up the seal. You can get a speedi-sleeve to repair that. I've used them on spindles with no issues.
Joe, can you expand on the comment above about cleaning up the spindles? Did you have them turned, did you steel wool them, how did you clean them up or am I making this a bigger problem than it is? If it's just the shoulder area I should be concerned about, I'll find a speedi-sleeve that will fit but does that require machining the shoulder to offset the thickness of the sleeve?

Thanks for your help!

Ron
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by '72CutSup
Joe, can you expand on the comment above about cleaning up the spindles? Did you have them turned, did you steel wool them, how did you clean them up or am I making this a bigger problem than it is? If it's just the shoulder area I should be concerned about, I'll find a speedi-sleeve that will fit but does that require machining the shoulder to offset the thickness of the sleeve?

Thanks for your help!

Ron
I used a wet/dry sandpaper in several grit steps with a drop or two of oil to smooth the surfaces and polished with a fine scotchbrite pad. The seal has enough give to fit over the extra thickness of the sleeve. We're only talking an additional 0.030" or so.
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:16 PM

Simple enough. Thanks for the quick reply! Have a great weekend

Ron
Old September 25th, 2020, 03:01 PM

All of the above is good advice.

If it ever becomes a problem, consider this;
https://www.permatex.com/products/th.../?locale=en_us

For what is seen in the pictures, use a sleeve if needed on the seal area and put it together.

Good luck!!!
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
All of the above is good advice.

If it ever becomes a problem, consider this;
https://www.permatex.com/products/th.../?locale=en_us

For what is seen in the pictures, use a sleeve if needed on the seal area and put it together.

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the Permatex idea!

Ron