front disc brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

front disc brakes ?

My dad has a 73 cadillac fleetwood and he isnt sure if he's going to keep it, if he doesnt we are going to take off all the stuff we want and get rid of the rest. My question is will i be able to put the disc brakes from the cadillac on to my 68 delta custom to replace the drum brakes?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by young olds
My dad has a 73 cadillac fleetwood and he isnt sure if he's going to keep it, if he doesnt we are going to take off all the stuff we want and get rid of the rest. My question is will i be able to put the disc brakes from the cadillac on to my 68 delta custom to replace the drum brakes?
Nope. Your 68 has the steering linkage behind the axle centerline. The 73 is in front. No, you cannot just swap the spindles side-for-side. In addition, the ball joint tapers are different and the spindle heights are different.

I keep saying this every time this comes up: If there were an easy spindle swap for the 65-70 full size cars, it would be well known by now. Unfortunately, there isn't one.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM

im pretty sure the steering linkage is rear style, but ok. Is there any way to put the brakes on my spindles?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by young olds
im pretty sure the steering linkage is rear style, but ok. Is there any way to put the brakes on my spindles?
65-70 full size cars are rear steer. 71-up are front steer. The wheel bearings are the same, so the rotors MIGHT fit on your spindles, depending on the offset of the rotor surface from the hub. There's no guarantee that they will. The 71-up spindles have the caliper mounts forged integrally with the spindles. The early spindles use bolt-on caliper brackets. I do not believe that these are being reproduced.