Converting to disc brakes 1969 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2022, 06:55 PM

Converting to disc brakes1969 Cutlass

Hey all, I’m in Arizona. I have a 69 Cutlass. Wanting to switch over to disc brakes all around. Found the kit on OPG, but it wouldn’t arrive until October if I ordered it today. Curious if you guys have another website that I could order from and get it sooner. Thanks!

Last edited by BSchmitt; April 27th, 2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old April 27th, 2022, 06:58 PM

Converting to disc brakes 1969 Cutlass

Hey all, I’m in Arizona. I have a 69 Cutlass. Wanting to switch over to disc brakes all around. Found the kit on OPG, but it wouldn’t arrive until October if I ordered it today. Curious if you guys have another website that I could order from and get it sooner. Thanks!
Old April 27th, 2022, 07:42 PM

This is basically the same kit I used on my 69 cutlass about 12 years ago. Says it ships June 20th. They have a different kit that uses your original drum spindles that is in stock

The Right Stuff Disc Conversion kit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxsd01d
I had one minor installation issue where I had to file some burrs off the caliper bracket in order to fit my SSII 14" wheels. No problems with anything since
Old April 28th, 2022, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BSchmitt
Wanting to switch over to disc brakes all around.
I think the move is overrated... But my car has the swap. CPP conversion kit professionally installed during previous owners tenure.

https://www.classicperform.com

Works well, although original pads developed a squeak ... And the brake booster check valve went bad early on. Fronts are late 70s Camaro. Rears are mid 80s Cadillac. Pad housing on replacements needed some minor grinding. Can't remember if front or rear. But leaning towards rear...

Factory 15 x 7 SSIIIs needed spacers to not make contact with calipers on rear. New 15 inch rims did not need spacers.

Stops very well in an emergency. Does not feel spectacular in between... Maybe needs further adjustment...

Classic Performance Products, Inc.

They are very helpful. Needed to contact them to confirm brake pad replacement parts. And yes I recommend their product even with issues I mentioned. Tweaking and massaging comes with the territory with modifications that stray from factory components.

​​​​​​
Old April 28th, 2022, 03:01 AM

The Right Stuff Detailing https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/
Old April 28th, 2022, 04:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your identical threads. You'll get a better answer sooner if you keep all responses in a single thread. You should also take a look at this sticky about disc brake conversions.
Old January 15th, 2023, 09:14 AM

Ok guys, so I got the kit from OPGI. It’s made by CPP. I have run into an issue and want to see if anyone has had the same problem.

My rear end is a 12 bolt BOP and the caliper spacer does not slide over the axle. I have to tap it on with a hammer. No biggie. But the holes on the spacer don’t line up with the axle flange. Any suggestions? Do I need to mail/grind down the inner side of the spacer?

I have contacted OPGI and they are working to find me an answer, but as of now they are not familiar with this. I have attached pictures to this thread as well for a clearer understanding. Any help would be appreciated!

Old January 15th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Have tried rotating it to another position?
Old January 15th, 2023, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Have tried rotating it to another position?
Yes I have. Same problem. It’s my understanding that the caliper has to go on the opposite side of the shock. Both of my shocks mount on the rear of my axle so the caliper goes on the front of the rotor. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Old January 17th, 2023, 09:34 AM

Maybe the two sides are different and this spacer should go on the other side of the car? Or perhaps you can flip it over the opposite way on this side?
Old January 17th, 2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sysmg
Maybe the two sides are different and this spacer should go on the other side of the car? Or perhaps you can flip it over the opposite way on this side?
That was the first thing I tried. No luck.
Old February 6th, 2023, 07:46 PM

That was the first thing I tried. No luck.
Hey all, just wanted to give an update for anyone else that may run into this. I got in touch with CPP. They said these brackets are made that way so they will also fit a Chevy rear end. BOP rear end has a bit of a flair out towards the axle flanges and the spacer and bracket needed to be machined down on the inside to fit. So I did some grinding with a dremel tool. Good to go. They line right up and everything is assembled. Thanks for lending advice! Take care guys!