72 buick lesabre brake and power window parts interchangeable with 72 cutlss sup?

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM

72 buick lesabre brake and power window parts interchangeable with 72 cutlss sup?

Hey guys i have a question about swaping parts. does anyone know if i can put the front disk brake setup from a 72 buick lesabre on my 72 cutlass supreme con? if so what parts should i take off the donor and what parts should i get new for this setup?

Also it has power windows on a four door. would these fit my car? and is there a way to test them like a homemade battery hook up?
the power windows were also on a 66 riveara and 70 buick electra.
if these are not interchangeable do you guys know specific models that are?

Thanks for anyhelp.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Parts Interchange

I'm afraid your going to be striking out.

The disc brakes on the LeSabre have the large 5 on 5 bolt pattern, and the spindle would also be wrong. You can use the setup from any 1968-72 A-body which is the Chevelle, Skylark, Special, LeMans, GTO. There are a few more options, if you do a search on Disc Brake Conversion this is a popular topic and I know you'll find threads that will provide all the details.

The power window motors, wiring and switches will interchange but the regulators are larger on the full sized car and will not fit. These are similar to what was listed above, the GM A-bodies for 1968-72 will fit, maybe others. Not sure what you'll find in a search or on the Wikipedia but give it a try and see what comes up. If you have more questions after that post them, I know there's guys here who have made those swaps. John
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Hey thanks 2blue442 for the quick response.

Yeah it was wishfull thinking on the swap but i had to know for sure. ill do more searching on the window regulators cause id really like to do that switch. maybe ill grab one see if it fits if not ill post it up later on unless i find another donor. wish i knew which parts were valuable on those cars the 72 lesabre is mostly complete with a 455 intact. and i even found a 66 or 67 wild cat with a 430 that car is complete as well. so i could offset the price tag of rebuilding my car. oh well on to more searching.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Hi Formula
My paycheck covers the bills and not a whole lot more. For years I've been dragging parts cars home, keeping what I needed and selling the rest. A couple years ago my favorite wrecking yard came up with two 1969 LeSabres so I spent an afternoon picking parts off them to sell on ebay. One item that surprised me was the cruise control parts. The power antenna also had a lot of interest. If you have the room and the time I'd encourage you to drag them home, or pick off what ever you can that's not too expensive. And there are some items that will interchange with Oldsmobile's. Even if you don't need it or it won't fit your car but will the full sized Oldsmobile's that's good trade stock! Spoken from a true packrat!!!

If your familar with ebay you can do a search of completed auctions to see what has been selling. One more thing, the early one should have the finned aluminum front brake drums. Really popular with the 1930's streetrod crowd and if not worn out an easy sale. Just be sure and word the auction so they can find them! John
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I just went back and read through the thread again. About 5 years ago I bought a 1966 Riviera for $500. It turned out the floorboard was rusted out so I dismantled it. This car had bucket seats and a console. I got over $2,000 in parts from it. There is a lot of demand for the early Rivi parts. I also learned the 1966 was the only year the nail head engine used a spreadbore carb. so the intake on that year is in demand. I had a guy drive over 300 miles one way to buy that engine as a core for rebuilding.

P.S. Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy your Oldsmobile project!
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Hey thanks for the tip. i was down about the parts not working for me but at the same time i know some one out there could use these parts. cause the cars are in a yard that wont sell you the whole car. so i was gonna pick at it and save as much as i could but at the same time i dont want a garage full of parts no one needs.

the 66 riviera was complete a week ago. now its just a half shell. i know for sure the power window setup for the two front doors are intact. the conslole is gone but the shifter is still there rusted but there.

the 70 and 72 buicks are complete ill be checking them out tuesday and checking ebay as well i didnt know about the completed auction search ill check that out.

the wildcat was the one that surprised me but theres no one on ebay selling parts for it? that car was untouched in the yard as well so i figure no one wants it?

thanks again i do enjoy the site. as far as my project still waiting on the shop to give her back. a three day upper windshield frame repair is going on three weeks.......... im thinking of calling her patches. cause of all the bad patch panels she has from the previous owner
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Smile Pwr wndo swap

The window regulators for your '72 must come from '71 or '72 A body cars '70 might fit...I think it does... '69 is different and '68 is different again... I am not sure if '67 will change with '68..don't forget to get the circuit breaker that is screwed to the firewall behind the brake booster and the heavy orange wire too...and inside above the left kick panel is the pwr relay to fire it up...
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

hey thanks everyone. yeah the motor was to big like stated earlier. but no worries just got a setup of ebay. so i should be good just need to order some new window switches and that will be one of many more things left to do.