69 cutlass drum to disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM

69 cutlass drum to disc conversion

I have a 69 cutlass that I want to buy a disc conversion kit through summit and want to make sure I get everything I need. I have power drum brakes now so my question is do I need to get a master cylinder, booster, and prop valve or can I use what is on the car now? What can I reuse if not all of it? Thanks in advance for all you help.
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gibbo69olds
I have a 69 cutlass that I want to buy a disc conversion kit through summit and want to make sure I get everything I need. I have power drum brakes now so my question is do I need to get a master cylinder, booster, and prop valve or can I use what is on the car now? What can I reuse if not all of it? Thanks in advance for all you help.
You can reuse the power booster. You need the correct master cylinder. Drum brake cars do not have a prop valve, just a distribution block. You need the correct prop valve. Speedway Motors has the best prices I've seen on conversion kits. Also, read this:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Joe, thank you so much for the reply but after i posted this I did do a little diging and found your info. The reason I am buying through summit is that I have almost 500 bucks in gift cards from family for xmas otherwise I would be doing some bargin hunting. I hope it comes with a propotioning valve. If not I will have to buy that seperate. Do you think that is something I could get at my local parts store?
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gibbo69olds
Joe, thank you so much for the reply but after i posted this I did do a little diging and found your info. The reason I am buying through summit is that I have almost 500 bucks in gift cards from family for xmas otherwise I would be doing some bargin hunting. I hope it comes with a propotioning valve. If not I will have to buy that seperate. Do you think that is something I could get at my local parts store?
Unfortunately I have not seen proportioning valves at normal auto parts stores. The brake specialty houses do sell them, however.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM

I'm working on something similar with my '69. Joe has answered a few questions already for me.
Here's one more.
Joe, I realize it may not be the correct part by appearance and part number, but I found this one on epay that claims to be "NOS 1969-72 Chevy Rear Brake Pressure Prop Valve 70 71"
part number is 18006626
Do you know if I or gibbo69olds would be able to use it?
It's a lot cheaper than the re-pop one that online is offering on Epay. Theirs is $60, this one is $10...
Here is the link to it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks
Duane
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69Rman
Here is the link to it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks
Duane
I've never seen that version before. It might be for the full size cars?
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I can take care of those summit bucks for you. That will allow you to bargain shop.