68 Cutlass brake vacuum canister?

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2021, 08:01 PM

68 Cutlass brake vacuum canister?

I wanted to ask if any of the 1968 Cutlass/442 models came with a brake vacuum canister?

I am right on the edge of having enough vacuum for power brakes and hoping that a vacuum canister may get me the little extra braking that I need to feel more comfortable after changing out the front drums to 14" disk using the Right Stuff coversion. This weekend, I just bought and have not yet installed a bigger 11" dual diaphram power brake booster and was thinking of going ahead and added a vacuum canister while I had it all apart (again).

Maybe I am just not remembering how the orginal brakes worked and wanting too much for it to be more like a modern, lighter car with 4 wheel disk brakes.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Ernie
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Oldsdruid

I've never seen one on an A-body but 61-63 Starfires had them. They had a metal tee in the PB vacuum line at the booster. One port went to intake vacuum source, one port to the booster, and third went to the vacuum reservoir stuffed between fenderwell and firewall.

66-69 Toronados had them for the headlight vacuum system but IDK where you'd put the outsized thing on an A-body.

Last edited by rocketraider; December 5th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Ekohler
Maybe I am just not remembering how the orginal brakes worked and wanting too much for it to be more like a modern, lighter car with 4 wheel disk brakes.
Bingo.
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ekohler
I am right on the edge of having enough vacuum for power brakes
How much vacuum do you currently have?

My engine initially made borderline vacuum with the 217/221 cam (bouncy 14-ish inches vacuum), and the power brakes were kinda weak. After some tuning that involved increasing the distributor initial advance to 18* and connecting the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum, things are much better. The idle vacuum is a steady 16”, the brakes work perfectly, the idle is smooth, and it doesn’t decrease when the AC is turned on.
Old December 6th, 2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
How much vacuum do you currently have?

My engine initially made borderline vacuum with the 217/221 cam (bouncy 14-ish inches vacuum), and the power brakes were kinda weak. After some tuning that involved increasing the distributor initial advance to 18* and connecting the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum, things are much better. The idle vacuum is a steady 16”, the brakes work perfectly, the idle is smooth, and it doesn’t decrease when the AC is turned on.
Thank you for your feedback. I will look into adjusting the timing, it was not something on my list of things to keep trying.
Old December 6th, 2021, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Bingo.
Thanks for your comment, I do need to keep this in mind and probably adjust my expectations of a older, heavier car with small disc brakes only on the front.