Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Inner Wheelhouse

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2014, 05:07 AM

Inner Wheelhouse

Working on a 70 442 convertible,im planning on replacing the inner rear wheelhouses but I don't see a vendor for them,there are lots of chevelle inners for convertible,wouldnt they be the same?Has anyone been down this road?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:27 AM

just did mine...

First I have a 69 vert, so not sure if the 70 is the same..

I would think the 70 olds and chevy are the same underneath, but when I was searching for advice no one ever mentioned using them from a chevelle or other gm a body? No that might be just for the 69s

I used a hardtop well but spliced it into the existing wheel well, I bought mine from goodmark, they are made in china, but fit really well, imho, the wheel well is much flatter on top because of the vert body brace, thats the outside well, that brace also makes getting to all the spotwelds a real job,

Are you also doing quarters? If not access will be difficult at least looking from the 69 model prospective,

My newbie advice would be to get the wheelwell and use only what you need from it, strip the well from the inside and you can see the spotwelds to the bracing, trunk floors etc, see if you can get to the spot welds maybe yoy will have to attack from inside and outside the wheel well. Good news is this metal isnt out in tge open for the world to see, so it is the perfect oppourtunity to practice your butt welding, and you dont have to worry so much about warpage etc,
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:58 AM

inner wheelhouse

Thanks,i may have to try that,just cant see how they would be different from a chevelle,but maybe they are,i will be putting 1/4s on it and trunk floor too,its a rally red 442 convertible four speed car with white interior,the car I have always wanted so im hell bent on fixing it either way,thanks for your advice
Old December 3rd, 2014, 01:30 PM

I'm with you..

I am with you my friend, work slowly and move forward, but I would replace the metal you need to, not the whole thing if you can help it, is it rusted through and through? I also believe it should be the same if they truly make it for the convertible

here looks like a nice option IF you had to replace the whole thing.
and it seems to have the flatter top for the convertible brace like my olds...

http://www.bobschevelleparts.com/197...bly-1472y.html

I think you should also check carefully the trunk floor in that area as they all kind of intersect there, you dont want to start and end up waiting on additional metal.

I wish I knew for sure, but I can not believe the innards of a chevelle are different from the olds...
Old December 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM

by the way you should check AMD, I just did a quick search and the parts place on ebay lists wheelwells and they are compatible with the 70-72 a bodies chevelle olds buick, etc , so they should be the same ...