Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

wheel well chrome trim install fasteners

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2014, 06:39 AM

wheel well chrome trim install fasteners

I bought some used chrome wheel well trim pieces. I bought them online. They didn't come with fasteners. I looked in both assembly manual and service manual I can not find how those are attached to the fender. With clips and screws? Or self tapping screws into the holes?? Any one have any knowledge on this?

Thanks in advance
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Hi,
We need to know what year your car is to offer any help, '70?
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Year matters, but typically these are held on with very short pan head phillips screws. Do yourself a favor and get stainless ones.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Hi,
We need to know what year your car is to offer any help, '70?
sorry about that. I know how things work. I just thought we these they were all done the same.

70 supreme convertible 2 dr
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Year matters, but typically these are held on with very short pan head phillips screws. Do yourself a favor and get stainless ones.
I was definitely going with stainless.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM

#8 x 7/16" AMK p/n B-10064 SS/chrome/wax, I just used these to reinstall my moldings.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Got the screws at my local hardware. Look just like the factory ones I looked at online. Trim pieces are all on and the car looks sharp. The guy I bought the car from had removed every bit of trim and molding off this car. I guess he watches to much Overhaul'n. Chip Foose doesn't like trim and chrome either..

Last edited by tbristol; May 9th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tbristol
Got the screws at my local hardware. Look just like the factory ones I looked at online. Trim pieces are all on and the car looks sharp. The guy I bought the car from had removed every bit of trim and molding off this car. I guess he watches to much Overhaul'n. Chip Foose doesn't like trim and chrome either..
Reminds me of the time a couple years ago I was driving past a park with some young boys (~10 years old) playing ball and one yelled at me "Yo dawg, pimp that ride!"
I guess he watched too much Overhaul'n too. So sad that young kids have such poor role models for classic cars.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Reminds me of the time a couple years ago I was driving past a park with some young boys (~10 years old) playing ball and one yelled at me "Yo dawg, pimp that ride!"
I guess he watched too much Overhaul'n too. So sad that young kids have such poor role models for classic cars.
I agree, on role models. The guy I bought it from was probably in his late 20's or early 30's I can definitely see the direction he was heading in with this car. the only thing missing was the top of the car one color and then the triple color blend paint job. I asked him if he still had all the trim and chrome and he said no why?? So I get a few pieces at a time mostly from guys on here.
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM

The holes are drilled for the wheel well trim on my '68 Cutlass S, but it never had the trim installed. I guess it was an option. If I ever want to put trim on, it will be easy enough.

I am not a big fan of (IMHO) excessive trim and script badges either. I just had my '68 repainted (factory red), and I had my body man leave the side script "Cutlass" badges, and the "S" badges off the front fenders and front of the hood, and the trunk. The only badges remaining are the "Oldsmobile" on the driver's side hood front, and the "Cutlass" on the passenger side trunk. I also took the vinyl top off, and had the roof painted body color. I don't understand why they broke that beautiful swooping fastback line up with a cheesy vinyl top. But, that is just MHO.