Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Sanding Question

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:34 AM

Sanding Question

I have rust on my car, some light and some thats heavy. I was wondering what would be the best electrical sander or grinder I can get?
I recently purchased a air sand from Harbor Freight but I am going to return it because my air compressor cant take it so I guess electric is the way to go.
I think I am using 60 grit sand paper but I hear 30 grit is the way to go. Also does anyone have any recommendations on sanders or grinders from Harbor Freight Tools? I will sand down the whole car but one section at a time since its a project car.
65 Cutlass..
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Harbor Freight tools are junk. They are for occasional use and I have gotten good and bad results with them. It is better to buy something from Sears, Makita, Dewalt and the like. Yes, Air Tools require lots of CFM,s for steady operation. There are many Methods for removing paint. For me I usually use a chemical stripper, them a wire wheel on a 4 inch angle grinder to remove what the putty knife does not get off. Then I use a palm sander on the body with something like 100 grit to start. Heavier rust requires more aggressive grit paper to start.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

I wouldn't go less than 80 grit, that's what you use to strip paint to bare metal, anything rougher than that is overkill and you can burn, warp, or gouge the steel if you aren't careful.
I have a 5" Ridgid dual action variable speed electric orbital disc sander, stripped my whole car with it and it never missed a beat. Just get lots of discs and change them often and it's make the job a lot easier.
The 5 inch discs are just about the right size to fit into tight areas and not too hard to handle, cut fast.

Best to buy discs and paper in bulk packs and rolls or it can get real expensive.
I get all my body stuff from smartshoppers.
I think I got the sander at Home Despot, they have all kinds of them.

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/index.html

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I hear ya about Harbor Freight but I am not planing on using these tools after I am done with my current project. I did thought about using the liquid paint stripper but my dogs sleep in the garage so I wouldn't want to kill them.
But if you had to buy an electric sander from HFT to sand your car which one do you think is a good one? I seen a polisher/sander that looked okay but I am not sure. Also would you recommend getting one with a bag to suck in all that dust?
Thanks again.