Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Restore/Repair OAI hood... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Restore/Repair OAI hood... suggestions?

I have an OEM OAI hood on my 70 442 post coupe that is in dire need of repair. I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the direction of someone (or some shop) that can restore and repair mine? At some point in the last 40+ years, someone removed the hood hinges from my hood, made it a full pin-on style, then forgot to put the pins in and took off down the road. The hood must have caught wind and became a sail. The fiberglass is separated from the steel lining and there's damage to the structure and corners. Seeing as they aren't making any more original OAI hoods (Thornton Reproductions notwithstanding) I would very much like to do everything in my power to save this one and reuse it. I have been told to visit a specialty Corvette shop, as those guys have the most experience with fiberglass, but these hoods are pretty unique with the steel substructure. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Chris

P.S. I'd post pictures, but the car is under a mountain of snow at the moment.
Old February 13th, 2014, 03:37 AM

I have had all of my original OAI hoods restored at Thorntons.Whether it was glasswork,a new metal bottom,or just reconditioning,I had them do it.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I have had all of my original OAI hoods restored at Thorntons.Whether it was glasswork,a new metal bottom,or just reconditioning,I had them do it.
Thanks! I guess I answered my own question, haha. Thorntons was always in my mind, but I didn't know if they restored stock hoods also. Could you give me an idea of what they charge for restoring an OAI vs. just buying one of their new repro hoods? Obviously, the severity of the damage plays a big role, as does shipping back and forth. I understand if you don't want to say numbers out in the forum. Feel free to PM.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:27 AM

I have paid about $1100.00 to have each hood done.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:03 AM
delete

I had mine done by Thorntons but if you want to check locally go to a Corvette place. They have experience with fiberglass. I know there used to be a guy on Rt 109 in West Babylon
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I have paid about $1100.00 to have each hood done.
They must like you, Brian. I emailed them and they quoted me $2500 to $3000 to repair/restore my hood, sight unseen. That's not including shipping from NY to PA. As much as I don't want to let another original hood go to a junkyard, a reproduction is more economical at that price.

Originally Posted by droptopron
I had mine done by Thorntons but if you want to check locally go to a Corvette place. They have experience with fiberglass. I know there used to be a guy on Rt 109 in West Babylon
Thanks for the heads up. I'll shop around for a 'vette shop.