Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Luggage Rack re-do

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Luggage Rack re-do

Hey,
This luggage rack was installed when I got the car. It also had aftermarket airshocks so I assume it was used for functionality and carrying extra luggage. Eventually when she's repainted, I'll probably have the holes welded up. But 24, 1/4" diameter holes will be a lot of spot welds. Anyway, I've searched high and low with no luck finding anything like this. I would like to change out the 5 long center sections attached to the trunk lid as the black portions are dry rotted, cracked and hard. I though of maybe having billet aluminum or chrome pieces fabbed up to replace those sections, but probably mucho $$ dinero for that if I could even find anyone to do it. So maybe just some replacement rubber pieces cut to fit for the mean time. Any suggestions on what to use or where to look? Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
118.jpg (43.7 KB, 24 views)
119.jpg (50.1 KB, 15 views)
120.jpg (30.5 KB, 15 views)
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM

I like the look of a trunk rack on a convert and used a Vette rack on my '68 Cutlass...what you could try as a low cost fix is to use that sticky side moulding stuff to replace those strips..looks to be about the same size and you need not use screws...
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I like the look of a trunk rack on a convert and used a Vette rack on my '68 Cutlass...what you could try as a low cost fix is to use that sticky side moulding stuff to replace those strips..looks to be about the same size and you need not use screws...
The molding idea is right on. I found some 3M vinyl chrome stick-on that is 3/4" wide which is the exact width I need. I may use the chrome type or try to find black which will look better I think. It shouldn't look too cheesy and will definitely look better than it does now. I also like the look of the rack. I get a lot of comments on it at shows and cruise ins. Some say it was a dealer installed item and others that it's aftemarket. I lean more towards aftermarket, but you never know. Thanks, Rob
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM

65 mustang rack on 65 cutlass

MVC-015S-2.jpg
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:48 AM

The Vette racks are easier to find and they are GM....the rubber nuts that fit in the lid are available from Ecklers...a little pricey but available...