Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM

fiberglass hood

So I have a race weight ram air hood with no inner structure for bolt on application, so it would need 4 pins to hold it down. I'm thinking if I use 2 hood pins on each side that pin it to the hinges, swap for lighter springs and then have the pins up front so I could still pop the hood without having to lift it off and set it somewhere. Any thoughts or maybe someone had done this before.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70special
So I have a race weight ram air hood with no inner structure for bolt on application, so it would need 4 pins to hold it down. I'm thinking if I use 2 hood pins on each side that pin it to the hinges, swap for lighter springs and then have the pins up front so I could still pop the hood without having to lift it off and set it somewhere. Any thoughts or maybe someone had done this before.
You will need at least two pins on each hinge flange plus at least two in the front. Expect the center of the hood to lift at speed. You may want to consider using Dzus fasteners instead of pins. Don't expect to be able to use springs at all. Just use a prop rod.
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM

I am at a loss here why cant he use the lighter tension hood spring ??? FOR A BOLT ON HOOD

and here is a pic of how my buddy did his LIFT OFF GLASS HOOD (( FOR PIN PLACEMENT IDEAS ONLY NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO USE THIS))

but I also have several friends running the lighter springs with a bolt on type hood for years with no problems........

Last edited by Limey; October 4th, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: fixed because of confusion
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Limey
I am at a loss here why cant he use the lighter tension hood spring ??? and here is a pic of how my buddy did his LIFT OFF GLASS HOOD

but I have several friends running the lighter springs with a bolt on hood for years with no problems........
And yet, at BOLT ON hood is not an lift-off hood.

Lift off hoods are not intended to take any spring loads. There is a good chance that the force of the spring pushing up on the hinge bracket will eventually crack the lift off hood. This won't be kind to your new paint. Your time and money, your call.

You also can't just use a single fastener (pin or Dzus) at each hinge if you are using hinges, since the hinge bracket will gap from the hood, putting the thing fiberglass in bending and again eventually cracking it.
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Any fiberglass hood i would delete the springs and put a prop rod in to prevent it from cracking.