Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Fiberglass Concepts Hooc Ready For Install

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Fiberglass Concepts Hood Ready For Install

After approximately 30 hours of work, the FC Hood is ready to install. Looks great, but again, if I had to for it all over again, I would have bought the Thornton Hood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 Hood.jpg (17.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by costpenn; October 8th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Looks great! When you say you'd go Thornton if you had to do it again, is that from a time perspective w/ the 30 hours in or the money involved? Or both?

Just asking cause I'm considering the same question...thanks
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Figure 30 hours X at least 80.00/hr bodyshop + paint/prep materials/shop supplies + the original cost of the fibreconcept hood (800) + shipping (125+) and you're at close to: 3500.00, plus the obligatory taxes and you're right up there around 4 large. Just for the hood. That doesn't include hood lock kit or air cleaner breather. In my case, when I broke out all these costs it was not financially responsible for me to put out that much money for just a hood.

A Thornton hood is basically ready to fit and paint at 2495.00 + shipping. I only recommended the fibreconcept hood thinking it would be for direct bolt on without modification.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'm with you Allan. When you add it all up, Thornton is the way to go!
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM

For a car like mine, they are fine. But knowing the kind of work Joe does I'm amazed he didn't go with a Thornton. But I'm sure that FiberConcepts hood is perfect now
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM
jfb

cost of hood.

I saw the hood painted it is beautiful. I do think that maybe a hood from glasstek might be less though. I bought a hood thru them in 2004 for almost 575.00. I do not think the prices have increased that much since then.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Olds Dreamer

i got my glastek hood from tamraz for 710$ to my door (in febuary 2012). it didnt need any work and it was smoother than both my factory hoods. even the factory w-25 hoods needed alot of work.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Looks great! When you say you'd go Thornton if you had to do it again, is that from a time perspective w/ the 30 hours in or the money involved? Or both?

Just asking cause I'm considering the same question...thanks

Hello,

Allan R above detailled out why I, in retrospect, should have gone with the Thorton hood. My painter guy costs me 60.00 per hour, but pretty much Allan's other costing is spot on. To be fair, I never intended to go to the level of detail on the hood I would up acheiving, so maybe I could have got away with 10 hours of prep and paint that would have been acceptable (to me) for a driver quality fit and finish. (approx 1200.00 less)

Live and learn!!
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I Like it!

Originally Posted by costpenn
I never intended to go to the level of detail on the hood I would up acheiving, so maybe I could have got away with 10 hours of prep and paint that would have been acceptable (to me) for a driver quality fit and finish. (approx 1200.00 less)
I'm sorry it ended up costing you so much. Great body shop labor price BTW, that's the lowest I've seen in years.

With respect to your car? I'm with the group of adoring fans admiring the great job you're doing with it. I'll bet you're chomping at the bit waiting for the day you'll be able to drive it. Very well done sir!
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm sorry it ended up costing you so much. Great body shop labor price BTW, that's the lowest I've seen in years.

With respect to your car? I'm with the group of adoring fans admiring the great job you're doing with it. I'll bet you're chomping at the bit waiting for the day you'll be able to drive it. Very well done sir!

Allan,

Thanks for the VERY kind words. May sound uber corny, but it's that kind of positive reinforcement from guys who KNOW what they're looking at and can appreciate it, that make you want to get it right.
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by alek72us
i got my glastek hood from tamraz for 710$ to my door (in febuary 2012). it didnt need any work and it was smoother than both my factory hoods. even the factory w-25 hoods needed alot of work.
Man I must of had my Glastek hood awhile........I drove the 2 hours up there and paid $300........

Iam glad i dont have a concourse show car,IF I had that kind of $$$ in my hood i would be shooting birds that came over the top of it! LOL!