Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Fenders

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Fenders

Anyone had any experience with aftermarket fenders for their 71 cutlass? I have found some cheaper ones at Tamaraz's and Rockauto. They're quite a bit less expensive than Year One and Fusicks. I'm willing to pay more money for a better product, but have a feeling these all may come from the same wholesaler/ manufacturer. I've heard stories of poor fit, but no first account experience and would like to avoid it if possible. Let me know your opinions, or if anyone has a no rust no patched set around Kansas, let me know.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM

I think they are all from the same manufacturer. I got mine from the parts place and although they looked pretty darn good they did take a lot to get them to fit. Though I have heard the same goes for NOS or used. Most of the effort went into getting the eyebrow trim piece int eh front to fit and getting them to align correctly to the doors. There was not too much work involved getting the sheet metal itself straight just alignment issues.
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM
71CutlassConvertible

Thanks for the info, it jives with what i've heard.
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I think they are all from the same manufacturer. I got mine from the parts place and although they looked pretty darn good they did take a lot to get them to fit. Though I have heard the same goes for NOS or used. Most of the effort went into getting the eyebrow trim piece int eh front to fit and getting them to align correctly to the doors. There was not too much work involved getting the sheet metal itself straight just alignment issues.
You've heard NOS or used are hard to fit as repops???
Alignment is fit, I sure hope the sheet metal is straight? If the things don't align you mightaswell put Rambler fenders on.

I've heard nothing but bad things about those fenders.
I'd rather fix a good used fender with a few probems than use one of those any day.
NOS are out of my league but what could possibly be better than a new original body part???
I got clean used ones from AZ Greyhounded here and fixed a few small dents. It cost me 250 bucks with shipping, on evilbay nobody wanted Vista Cruiser fenders with all the trim holes in them but me at the time.
My fenders are made from virgin iron ore shipped across the great lakes and smelted and rolled in the great fiery flame-belching steel mills of the rust belt. Brave sailors risked their lives on the mighty seas for those fenders.
Those repos are made from old Chinesium tin cans.
Look inside and they probably still have chinesium chicken scratching on them, much like the old 50's made in Japan tin friction cars I ripped apart to see what I could see soon as I got them brand new.
If translated the chinesium would say "The People's Sardines".

Last edited by Bluevista; April 9th, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh Lord.... you are on a roll today, LOL!!!!!