Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Door gaps

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Door gaps

hey, i have a pretty big gap at the bottom of the driver side door. any suggestions on where to start with that adjustment???
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
car guy

What kind of car? Where it meets the 1/4 is it high? Is it an even gap or tapered? OEM sheet metal or aftermarket? Body lines match?

The hinges are the only adjustment. These old cars fit like crap from the factory. The best you an do is split your differences if you are not willing to cut and weld.
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM

How about helping us out by posting a few photos of the door and how it fits to the car? With a better idea from photos, suggestions can be made more easily.

Brian
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM

72 cutlass conv. its a tapered gap...original door, body lines match perfect.
def not cutting but i can get my index finger in it.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
What kind of car? Where it meets the 1/4 is it high? Is it an even gap or tapered? OEM sheet metal or aftermarket? Body lines match?

The hinges are the only adjustment. These old cars fit like crap from the factory. The best you an do is split your differences if you are not willing to cut and weld.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:44 PM

ill try to get pics but the work space is tight man lol

Originally Posted by 69442C
How about helping us out by posting a few photos of the door and how it fits to the car? With a better idea from photos, suggestions can be made more easily.

Brian
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
jfb

i did not read the other posts but get the door gaps on both even or very close too plus fender. adjusting is trial and error and you sometimes with aftermarket hinges really need the time. the hood to fender tops within 1 eight of a inch same procedures you need shims for the front and go for even gaps throughout plus consider detailing the shims after also for no rust etc. deck lid to qters the same 1 eight of a inch and sometimes with some persuasion you need to adjust the hinges down and look out for high corners from thick seals if needed persuade the metal down and look out for the pinch weld and the after seal it if needed and touch up alsio. I mean the corners and use a 2x4 to wack with i mean persuade,if the deck lid needs to go up use longer bolts and washers or shims and no perticuliar brand either all over nobodywill really know anyway. the bumper brackets can be grinded or moved within to proper gapping make them even also on both ends.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM

the gap is at the bottom of the door, fenders are off but the door lines up with the quarters pretty good