Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Convertible Door Alignment Wedges

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Convertible Door Alignment Wedges

Hello All,

I'm adding the missing door alignment wedges to my convertible. Anyone know which screws are to be used? They do not come with screws. Also, I noticed that there are dimples on the doors, but no actual holes for the door mounted wedge. I assume these may have been filled the last time the car was painted? Any help is appreciated.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Randy C.

Here's the best description I can provide for the screws that attach the alignment wedges on my '68 and '69 4-4-2 verts:

8-18 thread by 3/4" long
head diameter .26"
chrome finish
phillips drive
either a "full truss" or "round with neck" style head

Good question on if the holes were filled. I can't imagine the car leaving an assembly plant without the alignment wedges. On the other hand, if the car was re-painted at one time and the holes were filled, I can't imagine a body man leaving dimples. Your guess is as good as mine.

Good luck on finding a screw that fits the above specs! I looked around for some extras and finally came to the conclusion that I should be happy I still have my originals. If you don't find exact matches, hopefully you will locate something that's close.

Randy C.
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Thanks very much, Randy! It seems like who ever did the restoration 10 years ago took a few of shortcuts. In addition to the alignment wedges missing, they upholstered over the rear courtesy lights, and they did not install the sway bar end link bushings. Overall it is a solid car in need of some TLC. Thanks again for the very helpful advice!
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:22 AM

If there are dimples on the door, then it is probably a hardtop door...just drill out the dimples.