Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

All the trimmings...

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

All the trimmings...

Howdy,

I have a 1989 Custom Cruiser (the "big" V8 RWD one, not the FWD V6) in excellent shape overall. I can pretty much find everything I need to spiff her up, save two:

1.) Is the white "paint" pinstripe on the rubber portion of the bumpers just paint?; and

2.) What the heck is that black stuff they put in the chrome channel around the tail and backup lights? It's flat black (maybe from age) and flaking off (definitely from age), but to me it looks more like an applique than something painted on.

I am endeavoring to post some pics soon, both because it makes questions like these easier to answer (and I have more) but I've found that pics/data on 1989s are pretty scarce.

Drew

Last edited by auto_editor; November 16th, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Welcome Drew.
The wagons are gaining strength daily here, just a matter of time until we rule the world!.
I don't know about the white in those bumper inserts, there are a few guys with Custom Cruisers here that should chime in.
I've seen SEM exterior trim black recommended here for those black details, I think those were painted originally as far as I know?

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=133
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard Drew

Sorry, Blue's much smarter than me. I can't help ya but wait for sum Custom Cruiser guys to chime in.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hangin' out...

I used white pinstripe to freshen up the bumper strips. It ended up being a bit wider, but the ends should fold over. Just attach an end and burnish it on over the old white. Looks good to me. I'll take a picture. Should cost you a whopping $5 for a roll.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM

[quote=Bluevista;I've seen SEM exterior trim black recommended here for those black details[/quote]

Hey Drew,

welcome to CO. I'd agree with the post above from Blue. I've painted the detail trim like this on the headlight/parking light bezels on my 98's with Krylon 1613 and they look excellent. I think the SEM black would give the same results.

John
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Drew: Welcome to CO! I agree w/BlueVista, the SW's are taking over! LOL! Our Custom Cruiser (CCRider) is a '92, so can't help on your paint issue around the taillight. I have the same problem on the front bumper, although a small chrome strip that seems to be flaking/coming off/fading. Never thought of a chrome pin stripe, and know they are available. Will check that out today.
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Unfortunately...

Thanks for all the advice, but I just realized the flaw in my plan: that black trim is EVERYWHERE! It surrounds every light front and back, which is fine, but it's only flaking on the left rear light housing in the picture. So I either redo ALL the lights so they match or just leave that one alone until the others need restoring. Hmmm...
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Hey Drew,

It's a little time consuming to do all the little detail work like this but it definitely makes a difference in the overall look of the car. Take your time with it and you will love the results.

John