Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 Cutlass supreme Hood

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM

72 Cutlass supreme Hood

Hey Guys, I have a 70 Cutlass S and found a cheap 72 for some parts. Will the hood, Bumper and grill bolt right on? Im pretty sure this is fine but just wanted to double check.

Thanks
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Curts1970cutlass
Hey Guys, I have a 70 Cutlass S and found a cheap 72 for some parts. Will the hood, Bumper and grill bolt right on? Im pretty sure this is fine but just wanted to double check.

Thanks
Unfortunately no. It will work only if you are going to change the whole front clip. The 71/72 hoods/bumpers/grills are not directly interchangeable with 70. Were you trying to keep the look of the car original or not? If you don't mind the question, what's wrong with your front end?
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Im not worried about wether or not it looks original, Im parting the 72 mainly for interior pieces but the guy with the car seems to think its a hood with the ram air like some of the supremes came with. my front bumper is dented a bit and i figured if i could get a nicer hood and use the 72 bumper and grill then my car would look more complete than it does now.
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Also allan i see you are in Edmonton. Im new to AB and in Red deer. Do you know anyone with 70 parts?
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
delete

If its a real raim air you can sell it for some good coin separately
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I havnt seen any pics but hopefully it is. Im just going for the dash and interior but ill take the hood
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Curt,
the 71/72 OAI (lot of people call it Ram Air) W25 hood is repopped by quite a few vendors now. Most of them are lower quality all fibreglass and either pin on or bolt on. The best OAI hood is obviously a GM OEM one. The next best thing to that is the Thornton repro - which follows the GM pattern to a T. The OEM and Thornton have a fibreglass top/tunnel bonded to a metal frame.

It looks like this and droptop is right. If it is OEM and in decent shape it's worth some good coin.

I'll have a look at the club roster to see if anyone around here has some parts. What exactly are you looking for? Send me a PM if you want; or you can post here in case others on the site have stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
work046.jpg (73.5 KB, 23 views)
442_Hood.jpg (47.5 KB, 23 views)
442_Under_Hood.jpg (52.0 KB, 21 views)
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Allan R
Curt,
the 71/72 OAI (lot of people call it Ram Air) W25 hood is repopped by quite a few vendors now. Most of them are lower quality all fibreglass and either pin on or bolt on. The best OAI hood is obviously a GM OEM one. The next best thing to that is the Thornton repro - which follows the GM pattern to a T. The OEM and Thornton have a fibreglass top/tunnel bonded to a metal frame.

It looks like this and droptop is right. If it is OEM and in decent shape it's worth some good coin.

I'll have a look at the club roster to see if anyone around here has some parts. What exactly are you looking for? Send me a PM if you want; or you can post here in case others on the site have stuff.
Allan... I am not sure how many computers you have or if you have one of NASA's hard drives, but you sure do have a lot of pictures..Do you have a picture of a South American Humming Red Speckled Cricket?
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Allan... I am not sure how many computers you have or if you have one of NASA's hard drives, but you sure do have a lot of pictures..Do you have a picture of a South American Humming Red Speckled Cricket?
Funny you should ask. If I told you how many 'puters' I have it wouldn't be a secret any more.. Yup, I do have a lot of pics, AND by coincidence I have a pic of the very crickets you were asking about! Go figure....
grasshoppers.jpg?t=1329451536
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Allan R
Funny you should ask. If I told you how many 'puters' I have it wouldn't be a secret any more.. Yup, I do have a lot of pics, AND by coincidence I have a pic of the very crickets you were asking about! Go figure....
I had to ask..... LOL. Well, I guess now we know why they hummmmm.