Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

71 Cutlass floor braces

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM

71 Cutlass floor braces

Anyone know if the rear most floor brace on a 71 cutlass is spot welded to the floor? I have to replace both and the front looks like it bolts to the frame, but the rear one (just forward of the rear seats) doesn't look like there's anything on the frame to tie into. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think you're right. I'm no bodyman so I quickly looked up the braces you were describing. By the images, I'd say you're bang on.

Front

Rear

Old April 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM

They both spot weld to the floor and the ends weld to the inner rocker. They are part of the body, not the frame. However, the front one includes the cage nuts for bolting the body to the frame through this brace, but the brace is actually welded to the body itself.

I put these in place and then spray painted from below so you knew where the edges were. Then I took them off and I drilled holes through the floor pan to plug weld them on (after fastening with temporary sheetmetal screws). I plug welded from above. I initially left the ends un-welded because it is hard to get to with the body on the frame. I welded them properly after I lifted the body off the frame. If you are not doing a body off, you may be able to carefully sneak in with the welder to get the ends.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the good info guys, I'm not a welder so i guess it will be one more thing to have them do while they weld in my floors. Long story short, I wasn't intending to replace the whole floor when I started so I have 4 pieces (FR,FL,RR,RL) of floor instead of one complete piece. It's gonna cost more to get done (boo hoo) but lesson learned.