Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

67 Cutlass - quarter panel patch opinions

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2015, 11:01 AM

67 Cutlass - quarter panel patch opinions

I've got the typical rust on the bottom behind the the wheel well and on the lip of the wheel well. In my research I've found 2 options for a 67 if I want new patch panels:

1. Sherman patch panels, one for the bottom of the quarter panel, another one for the wheel well lip. Rock Auto has some good prices there.
2. Nor/Am auto body parts has a larger single panel. Here's their link - http://www.noramstore.com/ProductDet...tCode=0788760U

Anyone have experience working with either of these and want to share your opinion? Anyone know of other sources for these that went well or not so well?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM

Not the best but work. I have a few factory quarter panels left also. I have one of those aftermarket patch panels new also for the right side.

Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com

Calls west coast time 8 am to 8 pm 541-815-4363
Old July 27th, 2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by seanm12
I've got the typical rust on the bottom behind the the wheel well and on the lip of the wheel well. In my research I've found 2 options for a 67 if I want new patch panels:

1. Sherman patch panels, one for the bottom of the quarter panel, another one for the wheel well lip. Rock Auto has some good prices there.
2. Nor/Am auto body parts has a larger single panel. Here's their link - http://www.noramstore.com/ProductDet...tCode=0788760U

Anyone have experience working with either of these and want to share your opinion? Anyone know of other sources for these that went well or not so well?

Thanks in advance.
I found the repop patch panels for the quarters are not correctly stamped, or better said, not stamped cleanly enough. The wheel lips are not formed enough, and the style line is not crisp but rounded over. Go with a part from Larry or one of the other guys that sell OEM panels, you will be glad you did.
Old July 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Hello:
Just my opinion, but stay away from the 1 pc panel that was the second option, they are Bad. Your best bet is to buy some OEM sheetmetal that is rust free or as near as possible, I bought Nice 1/4's from a CO member for my 66 Cutlass and had them media blasted. If you want a nice finished product, you need to start with Nice stuff. Anything Good will more than likely come from out West where it is dry and hot. If lemoldsnut says he has good stuff, start w/ him, I have bought from him in the past w/ NO Problems and would deal w/ him again. Good Luck, there is Good sheetmetal out there, but it won't be cheap!
Thanks, Ron
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:08 PM

For the 67 the repop panels are not true to factory with detail missing. A 4dr can yield the part you need and I would try and get them.
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Lemoldsnut, I just shot you an e-mail with some questions.

Sean
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:56 PM

Returned email. Thanks
Larry
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:00 AM

I have desert southwest stuff--rear clip, right quarter panel, and also NOS panels. However, being located in the desert southwest, it isn't close to you.
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Most of oregon is high desert and we have dry parts.
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Oh you guys in the dessert with your dry stuff Thanks for the tips and feedback, and thanks to lemoldsnut for taking time to reply through e-mail. Unfortunately I can't swing what the original sheet metal would cost so I'm going to go with patches. I'm developing my TIG weld skills along with hammer & dolly work so I can do some tweaking to get the patches better. I'll post pics in the build thread I've got going when I get to quarter panel work. Thanks everyone.

Sean
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You will be alright . Im envious of your tig welding skills. Been doing body work for almost 10 years and i have yet to learn. If you can cut and weld there is no way you can mess up. at that point it will just take more time lol. Dont sweat it .
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the welding compliment Copper. I still might mess something up but I can probably fix it I did ask folks for their input and did want to say thanks and explain why I'm going against their advice.