Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

67 C/S Conv - PS Rocker Panel rust

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Arrow 67 C/S Conv - PS Rocker Panel rust

Hi folks. This is the passenger side of the rocker panel on a 1967 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I have the fenders off for cleaning and painting the engine compartment. I got a better look at this rust. There's rust and a hole at the front of the outer rocker panel and about a 6 inch hole on the inner rocker panel. I've been through some postings here and others in Chevelle forums to get more information on this. The assembly manual and factory manual don't seem to have much on the details of the rocker panels unless I missed it.
Here's what I'm considering for this:
1. Remove the door
2. Put a brace in between the hinges and the place where the door striker is.
3. Cut out the spot welds to and cut off the front 12 inches of the outer rocker panel.
4. Make a patch to repair the inner rocker panel.
5. Repair the front of the outer rocker panel by patching in new metal.
6. Weld the outer rocker panel back on.

It looks like the back of the outer rocker panel goes under some stuff so I'm thinking it's less work to just remove some of the outer rocker panel instead of all of it. I will need to get the weld between the panel that I remove real good since that's very visible.
For now I need to stick with getting the engine compartment done before I move on to either this or patching the bottom of both fenders and the braces.
This is one way to do this and there may be better ways. I have an Everlast TIG welder with a foot pedal and pulse and a Harbor Freight flux core MIG I could dust off. I'm doing this as a hobby so I need to hear from more experienced folks here. I appreciate your tips and advice.

- Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ps_rocker_panel1.jpg (50.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
ps_rocker_panel2.jpg (69.3 KB, 30 views)
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
jfb

hey buddie just remember most bottom areas are pinch welded and use some panel adhesive plus prep the inside por 15 etc or panel coating from 3m and maybe welding spray. I would also suggest a slip fit if not butt welding the 2 parts then do your bondoing etc.