how to adjust hood catch on 70 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM

how to adjust hood catch on 70 cutlass

I have to really slam my hood to get the mechanism to catch. There does not appear to be any upward adjustment on the mechanism so how do I fix the problem?
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM

There are 2 hood bumpers toward the outside of the radiator support. You can use a 1/2" wrench to loosen up the jam nuts, then a phillips screw driver to screw the hood bumpers down a bit. If that does not fix it, you have larger issues & I'd need to see it to give more info. Some pictures of the front of the car from several angles may help us give you better info.
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
There are 2 hood bumpers toward the outside of the radiator support. You can use a 1/2" wrench to loosen up the jam nuts, then a phillips screw driver to screw the hood bumpers down a bit. If that does not fix it, you have larger issues & I'd need to see it to give more info. Some pictures of the front of the car from several angles may help us give you better info.
Some history - I am totally new to the A body. I have restored nothing but F bodies all my life and their hood latch is totally different and very easy to adjust. I have the hood bumpers set for perfect fit against the fenders - just seems very strange GM didnt make the hood latch easily height adjustable. I can move it left & right and of course the hood part itself won't move. Car probably has front end damage history. I am thinking about attaching my engine hoist to the mechanism and lifting the front end to see if I can get 1/4" higher just by bending the rad support?