Steel Hood Reproductions???

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Steel Hood Reproductions???

OK, I know there was a thread about aftermarket fiberglass hoods but I've been looking for about 2 weeks for someone who manufactures steel reproductions. I have a 1970 Cutlass Supreme Conv. getting ready for a full body restore. I can get anything else, but the holy grail, the hood and hood top trim down the center. Anybody know where I could find this? My hood isn't really bad, other than about 4 coats of paint a couple or dings here and there so I'm not looking for used parts. Oh, and if I decide to go with fiberglass, the previous thread never answered whether or not the hood springs needed to be changed for the reduced weight.
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM

I have the center trim piece for the 1970 hood. It is a very good core and can be rechromed.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:14 AM
72 Olds CS

Yes hood springs need to be changed w glass hoods.....unless you like broken glass hoods I got the lightweight hood springs from partsplace and the glass hood opens and closes w about the same feel as the steel hood did
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Screecher
OK, I know there was a thread about aftermarket fiberglass hoods but I've been looking for about 2 weeks for someone who manufactures steel reproductions. I have a 1970 Cutlass Supreme Conv. getting ready for a full body restore. I can get anything else, but the holy grail, the hood and hood top trim down the center. Anybody know where I could find this? My hood isn't really bad, other than about 4 coats of paint a couple or dings here and there so I'm not looking for used parts. Oh, and if I decide to go with fiberglass, the previous thread never answered whether or not the hood springs needed to be changed for the reduced weight.
Considering that every 1970-72 442 and most Cutlii from those years now have O.A.I. hoods, there must be millions of good used steel hoods out there for sale. I can't see that there's a market for repros, which is why no one makes them.