Upper door trim removal

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2016, 06:01 AM

Upper door trim removal

I have a 71 oldsmobile vista cruiser wagon. I am in need to find out how the upper door trim comes off. Is there a tool that is made for the job? I want to strip the paint off the doors to put in primer.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NJRob
I have a 71 oldsmobile vista cruiser wagon. I am in need to find out how the upper door trim comes off. Is there a tool that is made for the job? I want to strip the paint off the doors to put in primer.
Which upper door trim? The chrome strip at the top of the woodgrain or the outer window fuzzy?
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Which upper door trim? The chrome strip at the top of the woodgrain or the outer window fuzzy?
The stainless trim around the window frame
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM

This I have found it very difficult to get off without bending the trim moldings. The best tools I have found to do this are a few wooden dowels, a hammer, some plastic wedges and lots of patience. I am assuming you are talking about the aluminum trim that goes over the upper door window frames on a car like a post car. If you use the dowel on the inside edge and tap on it with a hammer to get it to start to come off the door and work your way around they tend to pop off at a point in this process. I have used a wood shim like what is used to shim windows and doors on a house as well. Being oh so careful to not bend the trim piece. It is hard and easier with each one you do. Some just pop right off, where others are a bear.

Hope this helps
Larry
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
This I have found it very difficult to get off without bending the trim moldings. The best tools I have found to do this are a few wooden dowels, a hammer, some plastic wedges and lots of patience. I am assuming you are talking about the aluminum trim that goes over the upper door window frames on a car like a post car. If you use the dowel on the inside edge and tap on it with a hammer to get it to start to come off the door and work your way around they tend to pop off at a point in this process. I have used a wood shim like what is used to shim windows and doors on a house as well. Being oh so careful to not bend the trim piece. It is hard and easier with each one you do. Some just pop right off, where others are a bear.

Hope this helps
Larry
Awesome thanks. I'm getting rid of my doors and I figured about saving the trim. I guess it wouldn't make sense to remove them to strip the paint off the new doors then. I'll just mask them off.