What is this!?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2016, 05:03 PM

What is this!?

Quick story...
Saw a 4 door on craigslist, looked decent in the few pictures he had posted. Was unable to or didn't want to get more for me before I drove 3 hours each way to look at his "sweet ride".
Upon arriving to a non-vinyl (painted white) vehicle that apparently hit a wall or was in an accident (owner claimed the car was MINT and "mf so pretty"). Who also apparently pain 18000 dollars from FL but is unable to sell for more than 3k...
Long story short, this guy was a sorry @ss joker.
There was one bright spot to the story.
I have no idea what this little light on the driver's fender is and neither did the current owner.
Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0071 (1).JPG (594.8 KB, 95 views)
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:17 PM

It is definitely a light.
Amber lens and all, did not activate when headlights were on, nor hazards.

Honestly, it almost looked like a weird hard mounted shift light...just facing the wrong way.
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:23 PM

That is part of what is called an "Autronic eye" It was found on Cadillacs & some other makes in the early to mid '60s. Never mounted on the fender of a Cutlass for sure. Added by someone somewhere along the way. Other brands may have called it something else & usually it was mounted on the inside of the car near the driver side A pillar. From the one picture it looks like a nice car. I assume the other side is trashed?

As far as the white painted top, that was a factory option. The cowl tag under the hood would have shown how it came from the factory. I recently had a nice '72 4 door that was the darker green with a white painted top.
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM

The other side was not trashed.
Just really irked me that he called it "stock" and "mint" when the stone shield was smashed, the front bumper needed replacement and the rear would need to be straightened and re-chromed. Also noted waves when approaching the car from the rear along both sides. To my untrained eye it appeared to be body work.
Spoke with one of the tenants that lived by the owner and he said there was a distinctive knock after it ran for a few minutes. The current owner fired it up and was quick to turn it off.

Just googled what that "eye" is. Did laziness start all the way back then!?
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Added options on cars created more profit for the manufacturers & gave the customer bragging rights or prestige. "My caddy has more options than your (insert car name here)."
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:20 PM

If it's been in an accident,both bumpers damaged, waves on both sides of the car along both sides, could that be the"train whistle " of the train that hit it? Sorry! Just kidding ,but I just couldn't resist.
Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 18th, 2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Oldsdruid

Guide-Matic could have been a dealer install as the Eye got relocated from dash to the LF fender on 88-98 in 1970. Technically unavailable on A-body as a factory install, the dealer kits would work on all series.

You see these exact same Eyes on same-era Chryslers and Lincolns. Reflective highway signs did the automatic headlight dimmers in. Cadillac stuck with them though by relocating the Eye to the grille which subdued the rapid-fire dim-high-dim sequence somewhat.
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Olds Fever

Did you ask about the gas can option in the back seat???
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:26 AM

I just found an NOS autronic eye thing in the '66 Toro that is being parted out I guess.

I might have brought it into town too, as it was not even in a baggie in the parts car. Needed better protection.

I believe it was the sensor that told the system to dim the headlights because of oncoming traffic. One less thing to get pulled over for.