Vent window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2022, 04:34 AM

Vent window adjustment

Is there a way to adjust the vent window? ('69 442 Post)

As background this car sat in a barn for about 15 years, so when I got it the first thing was fighting to get the windows opened to allow it to air out. The last time I rolled it out and washed it, I opened all windows again and have since been unable to completely close the DS vent window. The crank will stop as if its "bottomed out" but the window is still slightly open.

Is there a way I can adjust this to allow the window to close completely?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 6th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Anyone with any insight on this by chance?

Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 01:20 PM

Revisiting, hoping it brings a solution.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, there is no adjustment on the vent window. Either it closes or it doesn't. Ensure the pivot points are lubricated and the rubber isn't so hard that it is preventing the glass from closing. Assuming both are good, my money is on a bad vent window regulator. The body is just pot metal, and if you had to force the windows open, there's a good chance the regulator broke. Unfortunately you won't know this for sure until you remove the inner door panel and pull the regulator mechanism out of the door. First place I'd look is the sleeve that slides over the shaft on the vent window. Second place is the gear.

Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, there is no adjustment on the vent window. Either it closes or it doesn't. Ensure the pivot points are lubricated and the rubber isn't so hard that it is preventing the glass from closing. Assuming both are good, my money is on a bad vent window regulator. The body is just pot metal, and if you had to force the windows open, there's a good chance the regulator broke. Unfortunately you won't know this for sure until you remove the inner door panel and pull the regulator mechanism out of the door. First place I'd look is the sleeve that slides over the shaft on the vent window. Second place is the gear.

okay, thanks. I'll poke my head in the garage once I'm done cutting the yard (only niceish day for the next week it seems). I did however go back and read my original post. For clarification, the window will stop closing, but I've still got at least a half crank before the crank stops.

first thing I'll verify is the rubber. I don't remember forcing it open, but it wouldn't surprise me with as sealed as the doors were from being kept in that barn for so long.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brotherGood
. For clarification, the window will stop closing, but I've still got at least a half crank before the crank stops.
Sorry I missed that. This tells me the regulator has a problem. It could be something as simple as the bolt that clamps the sleeve to the shaft has loosened up, but odds are it's something broken or stripped.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:08 PM

Joe,
In the A-bodies, are the 3 mounting bolts in slots like the big cars? Or do they mount in holes with no adjustability?

One of my window adjusting steps in big cars (Starfire & 98) is to loosen the regulator mounting bolts for the vent window regulator to allow adjustment of the entire vent window assembly.

I just got done adjusting windows on my big cars and took it as kind of a win that my vent window regulator bolt position in the slots was more or less in the middle of the mounting slot.

Chris
Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:11 PM

Sometimes you pull the regulator and reset (aka hammer back down) the rivets to hold tighter against the body assembly of the regulator, but consider it a “getting lucky” scenario.

This many years later, cleaning, degreasing and regreasing the regulator is probably smart. Part of what makes these not work is long dried out lithium grease.

You may be on the hunt for a new regulator, but not to worry GM made many many from the at least 1965 on up.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cfair
Joe,
In the A-bodies, are the 3 mounting bolts in slots like the big cars? Or do they mount in holes with no adjustability?

One of my window adjusting steps in big cars (Starfire & 98) is to loosen the regulator mounting bolts for the vent window regulator to allow adjustment of the entire vent window assembly.

I just got done adjusting windows on my big cars and took it as kind of a win that my vent window regulator bolt position in the slots was more or less in the middle of the mounting slot.

Chris
Chris, it's been a while since I looked at one, but I'd put money on the holes being oversize to allow for tolerances. Usually you mate the regulator to the window shaft first, then bolt down the three mounting bolts. Having said that, I can't really see how moving the regulator in the plane of the inner door skin will take out rotational slop in the gear drive or coupling.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 03:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cfair
You may be on the hunt for a new regulator, but not to worry GM made many many from the at least 1965 on up.
Actually, since they are the same on Chevelles, repros are available everywhere.
Old June 22nd, 2023, 09:23 PM

If the quality is on point, would Chevelle parts work on 65-66 big cars? Who makes the best reproductions?

I’ve always used boneyard pieces, not even trying for reproductions since, well, ‘66 big cars are 2 standard deviations beyond the mean for parts availability.

Here & there I get lucky on parts cross references, but mostly not - like the disc brake rotor thing.

Parts scarcity seems to be the price of uniqueness.

Cheers
Chris
Old June 23rd, 2023, 12:30 PM

Evidently I didn't follow up like I thought I did...but I would agree. It for sure is not the rubber keeping it from closing fully. From there, I would assume regulator would be first option. Between now and the time I get around to replacing it, I'll just be aware of spraying anything right at it (you know..to not do that)

Thanks.