using candy paints

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:25 PM

using candy paints

whats up everybody i got a couple of questions and hope someone can help me,i have just finished the body work on my 442 and i'm interested in using the duplicolor paint system. i have already used the primer and i like it i think it has sealer already in it, i want to use the candy apple red but i'm not sure how many quarts i'm gonna need to complete the job does anyone have any ideas?I know that it requires a base coat i already have some of the silver base but hou many quarts or the candy red do i need to purchase?
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM

I used a lime green base coat and I had a gallon and a half of paint and there wasn't much left when I was done. That was painting the inside lip of the fenders, the door jambs, under the trunklid....so I used a fair amount.

You never know, you might need to touch it up in the future, so it wouldn't hurt to have extra paint for the car.

I should add.....it also depends on the brand too. The more expensive the paint, the better the coverage (most of the time) and certain colors cover better than others. For example....reds, blacks, whites, yellows and browns cover very well. Metallic colors like silver, gold, metallic greens or blues will need extra coverage because they are are little more transparent.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM

using candy paints

the lime green was nice that's almost the original color of my car but the paint i'm gonna use is (duplicolor) candy apple red,and i'm not sure they sell it in a gallon size so i'm trying to find out how many quarts i'm gonna need?
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Registered Luser

Call the Duplicolor Tech Line....tell them what you are painting, type of gun you are using, and they should be able to get you in the ballpark.....if you don't have any real experience painting, I would look to do a different color other than a candy.....nothing looks worse than a bad candy job!
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:14 PM

well you know how it is when you have a vision you want to see it come to life, i have practiced with some candy on an old hood and the first 3 times wasn't so good but the last time i tried it it came out perfect so thats why i need to know how many quarts will i need in order toget at the least 3coats on it?
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Registered Luser

Well, it depends on how many coats you want to put on....the more coats, the deeper and darker and richer it will be. Less coats is lighter and more brilliant. You would need to make a "let down panel" to find out the look you are going for. If you can get a good 12x12 flat piece of steel maybe out of an old hood, clean it and sand it. Be sure to finish sanding it in 800 grit or 1000 before applying the silver....once the silver is dry, mask off equal strips of the panel in succession. Apply 1 coat candy, flash , rip off paper next paper section, apply second coat of candy and so on to about 3 or 4 coats. Then clear it. Check in the sun to figure out which section you like the best, 1,2,3 or 4 coats. If I get time later, I will post a pic for you of what I mean. That's if you need me too....no problem!
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:39 PM

well i have another plan on how i'm gonna apply my paint i think i'm gonna use a candy apple red (single stage) paint, since i already have it primed and (2) coats of silver metallic base coat. I'll spray at the least (3) coats of the single stage candy apple red, then after a day or two i'm gonna mix up 2-3 bags of candy apple red candy paint from (SIK) or (PAINTS WITH PEARL PIGMENTS) which is a dust. Then spay about (3) to (4) coats of that,spray about (2) coats of clear wet sand and buff and ride out