Removing Upper Windshield Moulding '68 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Removing Upper Windshield Moulding '68 Cutlass Convertible

I've managed to remove just about every piece of trim....except this one.

Any secrets on the best way to get the clips to release? In my youth I'd simply pry it off and deal with a bent piece....I'm older and a little smarter now.

Thanks
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:25 AM

There is a hooked tool that slides under the trim and snags the clip and then you rotate the tool slightly and it causes the clip to release... Lisle Tools.
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:24 PM

I have the opposite problem. Mine came off at the end and I can't figure out how to reattach it. Looks like it takes a small screw of some kind. BTW, I looked at Lisle Tools website and I can't find that tool. I'm not that bright either though. I'll keep looking
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by tfatboy
I have the opposite problem. Mine came off at the end and I can't figure out how to reattach it. Looks like it takes a small screw of some kind. BTW, I looked at Lisle Tools website and I can't find that tool. I'm not that bright either though. I'll keep looking
Ah, found the tool on Amazon
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:30 PM

epay
"car window molding tool"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CA...item1e5e5f35ec

C'mon folks, it's so easy
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Epay? Lol. I said I wasn't too bright. I found it. Thanks! To make matters worse, I realized we are talking about the upper molding. My problem is the lower molding. Have you seen those clips? Have no idea how they are supposed to work. I'm trying to attach instead of detach. Find that on eBay for me! I'm joking btw , don't be mad
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Registered

The Fisher Body manual shows that the lower windshield reveal molding screws on.
I know it does on my '68 GTO convertible, my '71 Vista Cruiser was the same deal.
Can you post a pic of it if it doesn't screw on?
You take those clipped moldings off without a tool and you risk bending a lot of expensive to repair or replace stainless. Put a dab of door-eez wax lubricant on the clips when you reattach the moldings and it makes snapping the trim back on and off a lot easier.
Everybody should have a molding clip remover and a door handle and window crank clip remover tool in their box but rarely do, even the cheap sheet metal ones work better than nothing. You can get them at any parts store, Sears even carries the Lisle tool line.
Those crank clips go flying into another dimension and disappear for eternity when they come off if you don't use the right tool.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Yes, I see that it is supposed to screw in. From where, I have no idea. I don't even know how that clip is supposed to go into the molding. I need some of those tools. The window crank clip was a beast to remove. Now my cranks don't have those clips. That makes removal a lot easier. Lol. I posted a picture of my clip situation a while back. I don't know how to go back and find it. I will try to tonight. I think I did it in the newbie forum a few weeks ago. Everyone there said to just take it to a shop. Lol. Now that is helpful!
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Ok, here's a pic of the clip from hell. The little screw hole is to the far left and you can't see it very well.
20130718_152755_zpsa28bc1fe.jpg