Paint manufacture

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Paint manufacture

Would like to hear your opinions on choice of paint manufacture. Have heard good on PPG and bad on DeBeer. Any recommendations or comments would be helpful.
Thanks!
AL
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Registered Luser

My choice would be Spies Hecker! I do all my work in it!
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM

De Beer? Never heard of it. Reconn there is beer in it?
Sounds kinda southern to me...

I hear good things about PPG. SH, too.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

ppg or dupont are usually my choice . I have had good success with off brand products as well such as transtar clears , eastwood brand paint ,.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Thanks for the reply. DeBeer paints is made by Valspar or owned by them. It seems everyones choice is PPG.
AL
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Also heard today Global clears. You ever hear of them ? I thought if you start with a product such as PPG you should continue throughout with that product.
Thanks for input!
AL
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I usually order paint from a website tcpglobal.com...... They are a manufacturer, but it is direct sales. Not sure what brand they actually make.

PPG has really gone down hill, and they think their stuff is gold... They keep cheapening up the paint and won't admit when they have issues. My prior employer fought them for months to take back 40,000 pounds of bad powder paint.
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I predict the quality of most paints will soon be going downhill as the mfgrs switch over to more low voc formulas to keep the epa happy. Some have already met that fate...
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:32 PM

That´s rigth -the low VOC paint bring more trouble .
I have worked many jears with diferent makes of paint
Spies-Hecker , Glasurit , Sikkens , Herberts , Lesonal , Lechler and finaly with De Beer -Water Base .
Every material has pro and contras maybe for the clears . what today is
first-choice can be next time a big mistake (in quality)They change the quality and dont tell it to the customers .
Here in Germany is forbidden to use conventionell base with thinner --you have to use waterbase .
But only for rims , restoration of classic cars , and farm-equipment and industrial heave-duty trucks or even when you have to buy a new Karossery after a turn over you can use old conventionell Paint.
regards Markus
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Lima-Gaucho
That´s rigth -the low VOC paint bring more trouble .
I have worked many jears with diferent makes of paint
Spies-Hecker , Glasurit , Sikkens , Herberts , Lesonal , Lechler and finaly with De Beer -Water Base .
Every material has pro and contras maybe for the clears . what today is
first-choice can be next time a big mistake (in quality)They change the quality and dont tell it to the customers .
Here in Germany is forbidden to use conventionell base with thinner --you have to use waterbase .
But only for rims , restoration of classic cars , and farm-equipment and industrial heave-duty trucks or even when you have to buy a new Karossery after a turn over you can use old conventionell Paint.
regards Markus
Hello Markus- Your far away that's for sure! My wife plans on visiting Switzerland in a few months. Your neighbor. I see you have used De Beer paints. That's what I'll be using. I mentioned it on the site several months ago and they thought I was talking about beer (drink) Alot of people haven't heard of it. I have heard the factories can go on using the good stuff, of course. By the way what is a Karossery
AL
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

AL,
I have had good luck with Glasurit and Sikkens. Most of the local shops use PPG. Good luck with the De Beer paint. I actually looked it up http://www.de-beer.com/en/index.php I think you'll be very happy with the finished product.

I believe a Karossery is a 'new unibody or shell' for the car.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM

UUUPS !
i am confused with my english
i mean a new Car-Body . And in the factoris they use a different kind of paint material as in the shops who repair cars .i have had problems with the combination waterbase and VOC clearcoat on classic cars on the parts where (for example) the doorhandles are bolted on.After a few month sometimes the paint scrolls or disarrange only close to the bolted on parts . Thats why i have change to other paint producer. And on classic cars we are only use the old system (base with thinner).Think about it ,on the new cars every thing is gluing , sticking or bonding to the car body, but in some cases the trunk moulding or handle of a modern car is so tight to the body that we use plastic distance rings to mount them.
And that is fact , i am not a greenhorn in paintjobs .
Markus