OAI hood latch and lock options

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM

OAI hood latch and lock options

I am converting from the original Supreme hood to OAI. I have the assembly manual but it is not very descriptive of what part I need and my Google searches are coming up pretty much pointless.

What parts do I need to make the hood stay put? So far I know I need the lock assembly on left and right side and the hood pins.

The assembly manual shows a latch in center front but am I looking for an inside release or outside? Do I need the T handle? Do I need the rod?

Anyone with OAI have any pictures they can snap and show me?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 02:50 PM
Old Olds Fanatic

My 70 came with the outside release, it's the same on all the 442s and Cutlasses I've seen. There is an inside release but I've not had a car with that style.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:04 PM

If your car has a fully functional hood & latch right now, all you need to do is switch hoods. Assuming it is a factory hood, you don't need to change anything. You can & should add the hood pins, retaining brackets on the bottom of the hood for said pins & the hood pin brackets that are attached near the outer edge of the core support. You can buy the all the pins & brackets in kits found on ebay & from aftermarket suppliers such as Original parts group, & others.
There was an optional inside hood LOCK that would work with either hood but it is not a necessity for either.