"Moldet carpet"!?????! installation

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Wink "Moldet carpet"!?????! installation

Hallo to all restorers
Claudia & me bought a molded carpet in the US for our Olds.The preowner did a terrible job with a cheap warehouse-carpet and alloy sheets
The molded carpet should have fit perfect,we`ve been told.It did not!After 2 hours without any positive result i got an idea.I put the carpet upside down on the (clean) floor beside the car and started to mellow a halve side carefully with my hot-air gun.Forth and back and forth and back and......After a few minutes the carpet became quiet soft,the factory molding was still to see.Very quick i put the sheet into the car and started my pre-molding right in the floor pans and over the ather parts.It worked well and after the first side was fixed i did the other.
The back side is almost transparent,any kind of glue that made it able to form the carpet.I`m shure this stuff is what makes it able to mold the sheets.And this is the part that gets mellow.The surface hasn`t got any marks and looks still as we got it from the manufacturer.

I hope my little report will help you on your project.
See you,Claudia&Martin
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks for the tip Claudia & Martin....will be useful to all. I'm guessing you are French Canadian....? Perhaps, Montreal, Quebec?
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Good morning Erik
We are from Schramberg,Germany.It`s a small town in an area in the south of our country, called the Black Forest.
BTW:The carpet is from "LONESTAR CAR PARTS"Houston.It`s in very high quality.We bought it in original GM Blue.The colour is shiny as should be in a shiny blue car.129,95$ is quiet a low price for that huge piece,(came in two pieces,one front,one rear).I think it is impossible to mold carpets perfect to the manufacturer with all the angels,ups and downs,sills....we`ve got in our cars.LONESTAR did it`s job as good as possible.

Claudia&Martin
1963 F-85 Convertible