Grille molding 72 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2016, 06:03 AM

Grille molding 72 Cutlass Supreme

Newbie with a question about grille molding. Is molding supposed to be attached via screws or is it a snap on affair? Driver's side molding on my Cutlass is loose. I can snap it back into place, but it doesn't feel or look secure. I suspect this is replacement molding that previous owner didn't bother to drill screw holes in to attach, but that's a strictly uneducated guess.
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by EdEarl56
Newbie with a question about grille molding. Is molding supposed to be attached via screws or is it a snap on affair? Driver's side molding on my Cutlass is loose. I can snap it back into place, but it doesn't feel or look secure. I suspect this is replacement molding that previous owner didn't bother to drill screw holes in to attach, but that's a strictly uneducated guess.
If you are asking about the U-shaped molding around the outside of the grille, it has molded-in tabs on the backside that pass through holes in the grille and are bent over to retain the trim. These were either not bent properly or have broken off.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:48 AM

Thanks, Joe. I checked further and what appears to be happening is the molding pops out when I close the hood -- primarily the driver's side. Last time this happened, I could see a tab that was straightened -- or broken off. I see where earlier model Cutlass had hood bumpers that may prevent hood lip from hitting the molding, but not sure the 72 has same. I also looked up replacement molding on OPGI and they warn theirs is designed for replacement grilles. Have to drill an extra hole or two to use with stock grille. Any further guidance?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 03:46 PM

Further investigation shows four empty holes forward of the shroud that could be bumpers that cushion the hood. Any thoughts, Joe??