Best method for replacing trunk floor pans?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2021, 06:11 PM

Looking for opinions on the best way to replace trunk floor pans on a 71 cutlass convertible? The braces look fine, but the sheet metal has pinholes in it on the sides and some rough pitting in the center section. Was looking at replacing the entire floor pan or possibly just the two sides, but the center section does have some rather deep pitting in places . I seen the panels from places like Summit and jeggs and parts place, I’ve seen anywhere is from partial panels to full panels and wondered what the opinion was on which was best to go with? On the three panel kits to replace entire floor when you weld the seams is it covered by the braces underneath? Also on the full panels that you order and then weld in is it better to butt weld or lap weld?
Old May 2nd, 2021, 06:44 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

On my 72 Cutlass convertible I replaced the two sides, I seamed them over the Fuel tank braces and butt welded the seams
I also had to replace the two trunk braces on mine. here are a few pictures of some before and after. I bought the sections on eBay, they are mostly all the same so I just found the least expensive ones i could find, I think they were Goldstar brand.

Old May 2nd, 2021, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the pics, plus the info. I’m assuming you butt welded everything in? How did you tie in The drop off area of the panel?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 05:28 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Originally Posted by tator62
Thanks for the pics, plus the info. I’m assuming you butt welded everything in? How did you tie in The drop off area of the panel?
I drilled out all of the spot welds along the Drop offs and inner wheel wells so I could plug weld all along those areas as "Factory"
anywhere I cut the pans I butt welded, The right side rust went all the way to the Trunk divider panel all along the Trunk Brace, The new patch panel wouldn't cover that area so I had to make a small patch and weld in separately. Once I had the pan tack welded in, I drilled the pan and plug welded the trunk brace in

Last edited by Schne442; May 3rd, 2021 at 05:35 AM.