72 CUTLASS ROCKER MOLDING help

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:09 AM

72 CUTLASS ROCKER MOLDING help

I was wondering if someone could give me the exact distance from the top of the outer rocker panel to the center of the round rocker trim retaining washers on a 72 Supreme,
I am reinstalling my rocker trim and the bodyshop made all the screw holes for the retainers dissappear.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:51 AM

I know I've taken photos with measurements for another member in the past. If you have time go through the photos on my photobucket site to see if you can spot them. There's probably 3 folders they might be in. Sorry, I didn't organzie the folders very well when I started using the site.

http://s90.photobucket.com/home/2blu442/index
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM

Trim

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I know I've taken photos with measurements for another member in the past. If you have time go through the photos on my photobucket site to see if you can spot them. There's probably 3 folders they might be in. Sorry, I didn't organzie the folders very well when I started using the site.

http://s90.photobucket.com/home/2blu442/index
Thanks very much I will check it out !!!!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MJAKS462
I was wondering if someone could give me the exact distance from the top of the outer rocker panel to the center of the round rocker trim retaining washers on a 72 Supreme,
I am reinstalling my rocker trim and the bodyshop made all the screw holes for the retainers dissappear.
Do you have the assembly manual for the 72? Apparently you need 14 retainers per car. The manual isn't really that helpful because it shows general locations instead of precise measurements. It does have a close up of the retainer as it fits to the rocker panel trim - which is some help. The Fischer Body Chassis Manual is even less of a help.

If the body shop filled the holes, is there any chance you might be able to pop out the bondo to restore the hole?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, I had a little time to play with so I started looking through John's files.
This one shows the location of the front fender mounts. (One of them would be in the rusted out area, but you get the general idea. There is 1 showing at the rocker - lower front of door too

P1010243.jpg

More showing right side placement Don't worry that this is a Cutlass S instead of the CS, the rocker panel moldings were the same for all 2 door models.

P1010212.jpg

I know it's not a lot to go on, and I know John has tried very hard to capture a lot of information in his pics. With this info, there should be a good idea of where to start. I'm guessing that if you decided to put the retainers on yourself, start with a test fit to see how the rocker chrome will sit.

One other thought just hit me. Look at the back side of your rocker chrome. There should be a pattern of 'rust' or tarnish where the old retainers used to be. Then use that as a template.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:05 AM

trim

I guess I will just drill one retainer in at the height I think it should be and see how the chrome sits., I am just worried about it ending up above the outer rocker and into the door path. I know where they go front to back and it takes 8 per side I believe. Once I get it I will post the correct height measurement. Thanks again , John
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM

OK, I've still got the remains of that parts car behind the garage. If you can wait a couple days I'll get some pictures of a tape measure against the hole that's drilled. I've also got these same retainers on the 1971 4 door parts car. I can get some pictures showing the location of the mounted discs too.
John
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM

retainers

OK, I've still got the remains of that parts car behind the garage. If you can wait a couple days I'll get some pictures of a tape measure against the hole that's drilled. I've also got these same retainers on the 1971 4 door parts car. I can get some pictures showing the location of the mounted discs too.
John
Thanks , I will buy about 8 of those discs from you if they are for sale.
I do not need pics either. Just a measurement from the top of the rocker panel to the center of the discs.
I can most likely figure it out today if you are not near your parts car.
Do you have the exhaust on that car ? I need the down pipes with about 2.5 feet of pipe left on them after the curve. Paying 75.00 for good ones. Thanks and please let me know.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM

I have 8 of those trim retainer discs on each side of my '72 Supreme. Since I currently have my trim off, I went out and measured. The distance is 1 1/16" from the top of the panel to the center of the retainer mounting screw. But since every car can have it's own unique micro-dimensions, you might want to do what you said and size it up before drilling. Or try to find where they filled the holes in and redrill there.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Chumley
I have 8 of those trim retainer discs on each side of my '72 Supreme. Since I currently have my trim off, I went out and measured. The distance is 1 1/16" from the top of the panel to the center of the retainer mounting screw. But since every car can have it's own unique micro-dimensions, you might want to do what you said and size it up before drilling. Or try to find where they filled the holes in and redrill there.

Thanks Chumley , That will save me some time. I will double check it once I get a couple installed. Have a good evening
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Pics

Ok , 1 side is done , it was a peice of cake other than the 3 inch scratch I put in the rear 1/4 , AAARRGGG
I measured down 7/8" from top of rocker to the screw hole location and the molding ends up 1/8" below the rocker now. It is rock solid and looks good.
I used 3/4 " self tapping screws , used a straight edge to make sure all marks were lined up before drilling . after installing retainers I worked from front to back pushing the molding firm against rocker to get the molding on all of the retainers.
then pushed the bottom edge tight to the rocker and screwed in the bottom of the molding to the bottom of the rocker panel. Then slammed a beer !!! Now I need someone to sell me about 8 more retainers for the other side and ship them fast ! LOL

Last edited by MJAKS462; May 25th, 2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: add on
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM

pics

Here is a couple pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kris camera 928.jpg (45.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg
kris camera 926.jpg (68.0 KB, 47 views)
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM

The trim looks good! It would be Friday before I could get to the post office. But if you don't get the disc's before then here's what the ones on my parts car look like. Some clean, some rusty looking. It seems like in an old thread someone found new ones from a Buick application. John

P1010107.jpg
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM

Looks good. One of my trims is pretty rough looking on one end, a scrape and some minor denting. Know anyone who has these for sale? I never see them on Ebay. Chumley
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Anyone that's interested, you can get these retainers new at Fusicks (from pg 94 of their newest catalogue)

1971-72 Rocker Panel Molding
Clips:
1 3/8” diameter clip fastens
to rocker with sheet metal screw.

RMC712
1971-72 Rocker Panel

Molding Clip 2.50 ea.
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM

trim

Originally Posted by Chumley
Looks good. One of my trims is pretty rough looking on one end, a scrape and some minor denting. Know anyone who has these for sale? I never see them on Ebay. Chumley

Actually mine are not the best either. I did use an auto body dolly to roll out a few dents , but you can still see flaws in the right light. and there are people out there who can make trim look new. Not sure of cost.
I can not find repops . and unless you have a show car , a few dings are hard to see down on the rockers.
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM

discs

The trim looks good! It would be Friday before I could get to the post office. But if you don't get the disc's before then here's what the ones on my parts car look like. Some clean, some rusty looking. It seems like in an old thread someone found new ones from a Buick application. John

PM sent Thanks !!
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Retainers

2blu are you out there ? Just wondering if you will be able to sell me them retainers or I will order some online tommorrow , Thanks very much , John
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM

Replied to your PM. Sorry, I've been putting in some long days at work and just got to my email tonight. John