1961 Starfire Aluminum side trim

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2015, 03:46 PM

1961 Starfire Aluminum side trim

I'm in the process of putting my 1961 Starfire back together after paint and would like to know if any members have advice on how to restore the aluminum panels that run under the molding on the sides, on the trunk edge and on the panel between the tail lights. The panels are in good shape just stained from many years of exposure. I'm not sure whether to just paint it silver or find a process that that put a coating on the panels
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Hello and welcome to Classic Olds, the side panels for the 61 have a fine line pattern pressed in and if you choose to paint them you will just have a flat looking panel. The grooves is what makes the panel stand out and makes a Starfire a Starfire. Should you choose to get them reanodized the eching process will remove materials leaving a "snow flake" type pattern in a darker shade of gray and the line pattern will be lost.Your best bet in my opinion would be to replace them with either NOS if you can find them in a reasonable time or the reproduction ones.
Steve
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:33 PM

Thank you Oldskeeper. It's what I expected but I was holding out hope that someone had been successful in coming up with a process to restore these panels. I will try my best on cleaning theses panels up with a scotchbrite pad and see how that goes. The back panels between the tail lights seem to be more of a matte finish and they look like the could be sprayed argent and come out looking like the original
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Hi, the scotchbrite pads will cut into the panel through the anodizing and ruin the finish, it will look blotchy and have bright and dull patches. You should try it on the back first and see what you think. I would use a strong cleaner that won't etch the part and use a clean wiper and go with the lines, if you cross the lines any cleaner and wiper will leave scratches that won't come out.
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:40 AM

Check this out:

http://www.jaswest.com/
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:49 AM

Thank you Oldskeeper, you seem like you have had a lot of experience with these panels and it's a great help to me not to do something that will ruin the panels. The panels are in great shape other than the stains so I will proceed with caution and use a non abrasive cleaner to start out.
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Thank you Don R. I had seen these for sale. Mine are in great shape other than the staining and the $3,000. for these panels seems expensive.
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM

I understand what you are thinking but you have spent time and money finishing your Starfire to get her back to what you want and are going to add old yet cleaned up side panels. The good thing is you can remove them without taking the whole car apart like the 62 model should you decide to upgrade to the reproduction set.I think if your set of trim is good it should look good but will take away from the final product.
Good Luck and we need to see pictures of your Starfire, Top down of coarse.
Steve
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Skylinerwjmc
Thank you Don R. I had seen these for sale. Mine are in great shape other than the staining and the $3,000. for these panels seems expensive.

I agree that is a lot of money. My car is a nice driver so the original panels with a few spots are fine but if you are doing a restoration for judged shows the new ones may be a bite the bullet thing. Only you can decide.