Do Ford Crane Cams pedelstal roller rockers fit

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Do Ford Crane Cams pedelstal roller rockers fit

Has anyone tried to put these factory 1.7 roller rockers on their Olds? I couldn't help but notice so many other roller rockers fit both Olds and Ford. Ford started making these in the early 90's and even put them on the Mustang Cobra's from the factory. They're made by Crane Cams but have a Ford part number on them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...6-16/overview/

Just like these, but with a Ford part number. Anyone try them? I ask because they're a lot less expensive than Olds stuff.
thanks,
Dan

EDIT: Without having to read all the way down, Ford small block roller rockers, both pedestal and stud mount, will bolt right onto Olds engines.

Last edited by brownbomber77; July 22nd, 2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Has anyone tried to put these factory 1.7 roller rockers on their Olds? I couldn't help but notice so many other roller rockers fit both Olds and Ford. Ford started making these in the early 90's and even put them on the Mustang Cobra's from the factory. They're made by Crane Cams but have a Ford part number on them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...6-16/overview/

Just like these, but with a Ford part number. Anyone try them? I ask because they're a lot less expensive than Olds stuff.
thanks,
Dan
I've been wondering exactly the same thing for a while now. I don't know if the geometry of the Ford rockers is the same as for Olds, unfortunately. The nice thing about the Ford rockers is that they use a small steel channel under the pedestals to prevent side-to-side rocker motion, so even if the center-to-center spacing is different on an Olds, you can simply grind the slots in the channels to fit. I've been trying to find a cheap set of used Ford rockers to do a fit check.
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Ford and Olds rocker geometry is nearly identical, about .050 difference. But I don't know if the Ford pedestals will fit.
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

brownbomber, if you're looking for a set of pedestal-mount Olds roller rockers, PM me. I have a brand new, never been out of the box set of Scorpion pedestal mounts that I'd sell very reasonably.
I do know that the actual rocker body is the same, Olds vs. Ford, for most brands out there, but I have no idea if the pedestals are interchangeable.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:27 AM

My C heads have the ford 1.6 roller rockers on them. The previous owner of the heads had all the work done which did involve slightly modifying them as stated above. They seem to work just fine. I also needed taller valve covers which then also required a new/smaller brake booster. Sorry for quality of picture.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69CutlassAlex
My C heads have the ford 1.6 roller rockers on them. The previous owner of the heads had all the work done which did involve slightly modifying them as stated above. They seem to work just fine. I also needed taller valve covers which then also required a new/smaller brake booster. Sorry for quality of picture.
Unfortunately, the picture is so fuzzy I can't tell if these are conventional stud-mount rockers or the pedestal-style rockers that the OP asked about. The pedestal-mount rockers use anti-rotation pedestals and 5/16" mounting bolts, just like the stock Olds rockers, thus the original question.
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, the picture is so fuzzy I can't tell if these are conventional stud-mount rockers or the pedestal-style rockers that the OP asked about. The pedestal-mount rockers use anti-rotation pedestals and 5/16" mounting bolts, just like the stock Olds rockers, thus the original question.
My bad, I am fairly certain these are not pedestal. Sorry
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just so we're all clear, the SBF pedestal rockers look like this:

Note the 5/16" bolt and the rectangular pedestal on the bottom of the pivot shaft. The pedestal fits into a short channel section that spans each pair of rockers, similar in function to the Olds rocker bridge in function but below the rockers instead of above them, like this:

The rectangular feature on each pedestal fits into the channel and prevents the rocker from twisting. No guide plates, no machining, no studs. It should be nearly a bolt-on mod for an Olds motor. The only potential issue is the center-to-center spacing on the two 5/16" bolts, but it's a simple matter to elongate the slots in the channel to fit the Olds head.
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, I went back and reread the original post, and it's not clear that the OP was asking about pedestal mounts or not, so I apologize for adding to the confusion.

I will add, however, that the pedestal mount rockers are available in both 1.6 and 1.7 ratios and there are also adjustable versions available with an adjusting screw above the pushrod cup.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:14 PM

My bad, yeah, without clicking on the link, I guess I wasn't clear exactly what I was looking for. Ford used these pedestal mount rockers on the Mustang Cobra's from 93-95 and they bolt right into the place of the factory stamped rockers. They have a Ford part number but were made by Crane. I have a set lying around still that I didn't put on my Mustang and I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get rid of 'em or not. Where are they "off" by .050?
thanks
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:16 AM

Ford the record.... (See what I did there?). THEY FIT. With a stock pushrod!! Geometry is just fine for 1.72 pedestal rockers. BUT. You must clearance the top of the pushrod hole as it's slightly inward but that may be caused from the ratio being higher and closer to the pedestal.
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Oh. And as for the pedestal widths. It's like .020 wider in the olds, so you'll have to file the holes for the slides that hold the pedestals straight.