Help with headers

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Help with headers

Hi all,

I know this question is asked a few times before, and I apologize but I just wanted to be sure. and I have another question that also refers to the first one.

Can someone please verifie if the headers in the link below fit my 1971 Cutlass Supreme 455CID th400. I know the footnote ''Does not fit supreme" should be ignored, but again I want to be sure, because I have to ship overseas.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...-size/7-5l-455

Also, what is the best way to install these bad boys, lifting the engine isn't an option, so passenger side from the ground up, remove oil filter or something like that? etc. I don't have A/C but I do have power steering/brakes (duh) and Floorshifter

Thnx in advance,
Clint
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:55 AM

fyi

Urban myth.

If it fits a 1971 Cutlass it also fits the Cutlass Supreme.

Header companies will NOT remove this from their listings for some unknown reason.
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Guttermouth
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...-size/7-5l-455

Also, what is the best way to install these bad boys, lifting the engine isn't an option, so passenger side from the ground up, remove oil filter or something like that? etc. I don't have A/C but I do have power steering/brakes (duh) and Floorshifter
Yes those will fit. You WILL need to alternately raise the engine on each side. I do this with a floor jack and a block of wood under the sump of the oil pan. You may find it helps to remove the intermediate steering shaft when installing the driver's side header. The oil filter adapter and starter need to come out, as does the dipstick tube. I use a slide hammer with the correct size bolt sticking out of it that just fits in the end of the dipstick tube. Clamp with a vicegrip and pull away.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:55 PM

I have the same headers on my 69 Cutlass, once you remove the starter, dipstick and oil filter housing both headers go in easily from the bottom. I don't need to raise the engine, or mess with the steering shaft. Be prepared to relocate the brake distribution block on the drivers side, its a tight fit.
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM

Thnx for the replies. Nice tips for installing the headers too. I will definetly try what joe said about the dipstick. I'm gonna order the headers next week and feel comfortable knowing they will fit.

I'll make some pictures when the moment arrives when im installing them.

Greetings. Clint
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Joe's suggestion for the dipstick is the same method I use. Works well.