Power steering belt loose

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Olds-Can

Power steering belt loose

Can someone please help, my power steering belt is loose and i cant figure out how to tighten it up it any body has time please lend my a helping hand also if its not the belt i did buy a new power steering pump if you can walk me on how to change it I thank you in advance.
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

There should be 3 holes in the power steering pulley. Line up a hole with the bolt behind it and loosen or tighten it once you move it where you need to. I think it's 5/8"
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Olds-Can

Is it the same step to remove the pump I bought a new one and it just sitting on my shelf plus the one on the car looks crappy.

Thanks you for th info j
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

To remove the pump you are going to need a "pulley puller" as it's pressed on. I did mine myself but I don't know how mechanically inclined you are.
You can rent the tool at most auto stores.
This is a pulley puller....
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
There should be 3 holes in the power steering pulley. Line up a hole with the bolt behind it and loosen or tighten it once you move it where you need to. I think it's 5/8"
There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old July 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Olds-Can

Thank you

Worked like a charm.
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Olds-Can

Thank you

Worked like a charm.
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:29 PM

Thanks to Joe for the pic of the right spot to crank pump tight.
Old April 30th, 2020, 04:55 PM

Can anyone tell me a great brand of quiet belts? I'm having the same issue for my 71 Oldsmobile rocket 350 engine. I'm not sure what it came out of but I know for sure that's the engine, and the belt is constantly squealing. I have taken the advice of the comments here by tightening the power steering pump, (which I have noticed has a pretty new looking Gates belt that the previous owner must have put on) but I believe it is the alternator belt, however I'm having a hard time finding a part number for it. I want to get a Gates belt for the alternator belt as well, does anyone know a parts number?
Old January 16th, 2022, 06:19 AM

Hello,
Does anyone have a picture of which lower bolt on from of PS pump and lower rear bolt on back of pump that need to be loosened to tighten pump belt? For a 1970 cutlass supreme w/AC. Do you have to loosen the alternator belt also to adjust PS belt? Also I found per the threads on here that there is supposed to be a hole in the PS pully on mine there are no holes, the Alternator belt is on the same pully as the PS pump belt.

Thank You,

Last edited by zmaster77; January 16th, 2022 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional question