455 Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:20 AM

455 Engine Rebuild

I've got a '71 442 with 455 original motor. Runs ok but weak. Probably needs a rebuild. How much should I expect to pay for a engine rebuild??
Old February 7th, 2019, 09:04 AM

Going stock or modified? BIG difference in price.

A good stock rebuild with machine work, new pistons, balanced is in the $6-8K range

A modified build with a stroker in it and aluminum heads is in the $12-15k range.

Your location will have an impact on the price as well.
Old February 7th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by My442
Going stock or modified? BIG difference in price.

A good stock rebuild with machine work, new pistons, balanced is in the $6-8K range

A modified build with a stroker in it and aluminum heads is in the $12-15k range.

Your location will have an impact on the price as well.
Thanks for the info! I will be going stock.
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:04 AM

What area are you from ? Not all engine builders are equal. Get someone that knows Oldsmobiles.
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:51 AM

I think for a stock rebuild you can get away with under 5 grand in new jersey anyway really depends on what you have and how much machining, I added a lot of add ons, but no cylinder heads and I was around 8k-8500 that included forged pistons, rods, custom cam, all new valves and seats, bowl work, carb , oil porting etc etc I believe he quoted me a stock rebuild was around 3800 bucks, and he knows oldsmobiles,

if you look on the web there is even cheaper but these are usually 76 blocks without the boss for 4 speed
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/DO05/10002/-1
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:53 AM

here is another not bad for the price

http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...tlassw-30.html
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Old February 7th, 2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
here is another not bad for the price

http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...tlassw-30.html
Lots of cheap parts in that rebuild. Notice they don’t give the brands, just “performance” this or that.
Plus I think this is the guy that has a video on youtube touting “look at the throttle response”. It’s a SBO on a stand with open headers and a flexplate that weighs maybe 2 pounds. It better have great throttle response in that trim.
Get an itemized list of what they’re going to do, a list of the parts and brands they’re going to use, and explain your expectations. If they gripe cuz you’re asking too many questions or whatnot, pick up your stuff and take it somewhere else. In the end it’s your money.
Hope this helps.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

Lots of cheap parts in that rebuild. Notice they don’t give the brands, just “performance” this or that.
Plus I think this is the guy that has a video on youtube touting “look at the throttle response”. It’s a SBO on a stand with open headers and a flexplate that weighs maybe 2 pounds. It better have great throttle response in that trim.
Get an itemized list of what they’re going to do, a list of the parts and brands they’re going to use, and explain your expectations. If they gripe cuz you’re asking too many questions or whatnot, pick up your stuff and take it somewhere else. In the end it’s your money.
Hope this helps.
But it is the Cuttlass W30 build not just a Cutlass W30 so there is that to consider.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

Hope this helps.
I am not touting that guy or the other company, I am just saying that a proper build doesn't have to cost a ton. even with good parts
you want a 455 to hold up over 5k rpm then yes you will need all the goodies, but they all aren't necessary. But again that's my humble opinion.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:58 PM

I dont know?

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I am not touting that guy or the other company, I am just saying that a proper build doesn't have to cost a ton. even with good parts
you want a 455 to hold up over 5k rpm then yes you will need all the goodies, but they all aren't necessary. But again that's my humble opinion.
what about this guy?
http://www.cmengines.com/Engines/Dyn...9/Default.aspx looks like pretty good parts, but I am not an engine builder

Old February 10th, 2019, 01:43 PM

I live in Charlotte, NC, and a suburb of Charlotte is Concord NC. That is basically where Nascar is based, and there are a plethora of good engine guys here. I have an engine builder that has built three engines for me. Great guy, and it will be around $5K for machine work, head work, quality stock rebuild. If you need his contact info let me know. He recently rebuilt a W30 engine for a customer.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:28 PM

If youre in California I have a sweet 455 you can have for $3,000. In the car you can hear it run.
Old February 10th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

a basic bare bones freshen up and rebuild will cost about 3k. you wanna do a basic performance engine plan for about 5k. you wanna be a bit more serious 7k +. Im one to usually build with used parts, and trade stuff and barter. I picked up a 455 olds that powered a 76 lemans into the 11.50 sec e/t range in the 1/4 mile for 1500. the freshen up will cost me another 1500 appx. but its also a gamble so . you have to dictate where you can "save" money "spend" money and the biggest thing is finding a machine shop that's worth a damn.