Rare Nostalgia Part?-8 Pack manifiold for B/B Olds - Can anyone identify it ?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Rare Nostalgia Part?-8 Pack manifiold for B/B Olds - Can anyone identify it ?

Any help would be great !

Someone did say "...It looks like one of the induction setups that was on the front of a 1970 Hot Rod magazine featuring Oldsmobile's experimental engines...."

I believe its for a Big Block Olds.

The only numbers it has on it is ER-13909

Anybody seen one before ?

Anybody got any more info or recognise the part number "ER-" ?

Any help ?

Cheers in advance

Ratman
www.V8Hotrod.com
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

The experimental Olds motor that I saw had an intake like that but it had 3 breathers going straight down the middle. Im not sure what its off of, but someone here or at realoldspower.com should know. Its definitely a cool one are you selling it or keeping it?
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Looks like a BB Olds to me also.....there was one similar on Ebay last year with a hefty starting bid. Said it was for fuel injection....yes the old type with the tall chrome intake pipes. I would agree that this is what it was for. I doubt it was for 8 1BBL carbs. It is surely a prototype manifold. Moon industries did make a manifold for Weber carbs for the BB and SB Olds. This is not one of those.
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your comments guys, Ive had a few comments saying '65 on and for a Quad Weber IDF set up. Any other ideas ?

May well sell to help to keep financing my current project !

Cheers
Ratman
www.V8Hotrod.com
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Intake

It does look like it's for 4 Weber carbs, the only question is if it's for the IDA or IDF version carb. If you don't have them you can count on $2000 or so to come up with the carbs but it would be an awesome looking setup!
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I stand corrected....the manifold is most likely for Weber carbs...I looked on Ebay and see now the carbs do bolt down as this manifold is configured. As far as I know Moon Industries was the only company to manufacture this type of manifold and it was a very expensive setup even back in the day. Moon traditionally had the "MOON" insigna on all of their speed equipment and that is why I figured this wasnt such a manifold since it was a no-name item....Would be an awesome looking setup on a BB Olds. Dont know if the linkage could be gotten still....that may be the problem ultimately to the person with deep enough pockets to get the setup together. I believe a company called ALGON did manufacture a manifold for Oldsmobiles that was for the long Old fashioned injectors but I think it was a 2 piece manifold with a separate valley cover.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM

odd ball intake uses...

i think with all the webers and nice linkage with some tall velocity stacks that would be a bit**en old school gasser style motor...just my two cents worth
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM

With all the interest we have received we have decided to put it on the Bay.

Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190029257918

Cheers

Ratman
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Past Administrator

Smart guy. I bet we never here from V8Hotrod here again, just posted to generate interest and hopefully sell his manifold. That's ok. I would buy it but can't afford it, noticed ther is no access to rear water passage so it wouldn't work with a street car with a heater core without modifications. I think it is for eight 1bbl carbs or an engine with special port injection setup in the heads. Definitely rare though.....If anyone is bidding on it, ask him the width from one gasket surface to the other, the BBO is 13 inches and the SBO is 11 inches ( I think ). Want to be sure it fits the BBO.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Hi Dan,
I was recommended to come here because of the knowledge you guys have and with this somehow turning up here in the UK we needed a bit of help to try to clarify what it is, or else it would have never got used ! Its also nice to have a chat about a rare part, we're all in this hobby of ours together. I'm a Hotrodder, not a business.
We're building a '34 Engish Commer Woodie Hotrod and had gone the small block Chevy route but if this does'nt sell (to help raise funds to carry on with the project) then we will keep and switch to an Olds BB and start saving the pennies for the carb set up needed ! Would be totally awesome over here !
All comments received have said its BB and as regards the rear water passage, there is two other water outlets as well as the thermostat outlet.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards

Chris
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Past Administrator

Chris, I apologize for pigeon-holeing you! I just thought of another spot on the internet you might checkout, these guys are really into the older hot-rods! Try them for info on any of your older projects, even that manifold. Jalopyjournal.com and go to the H.A.M.B (hokey assed message board) forgive my french but that's the name.....I go there quite often as I have a '48 Olds project (see my avatar). Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by V8Hotrod.com
Any help would be great !

Someone did say "...It looks like one of the induction setups that was on the front of a 1970 Hot Rod magazine featuring Oldsmobile's experimental engines...."

Hi, all.

I know this is an old thread that I just stumbled across. I just wanted to say that I also own one of these intakes. Olds cast these up in both big and small block versions in the 1960s as part of their aluminum engine program for CanAm racing. The engines were used in a McKee car run by the Cro-Sal racing team. As others have noted, this is intended to be a Webber manifold, which is how they were originally run. Olds also used a British-made mechanical injection system that bolted to Webber manifolds, which is the source of the confusion. The ER number apparently stands for Experimental Research or something like that, because I also have a dual Q-jet crossram intake with a similar ER number. Both the Webber and the crossram intakes were featured in Hot Rod magazine as noted above. Here's a link to pictures of my intakes at 442.com (and no, they're not for sale):

http://www.442.com/articles/padavano.html