’68 442 Tach Install

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 06:30 PM

’68 442 Tach Install

Just picked up an OEM tach off craigslist and am stumped on how to install it. Does the dash need to come off or do the gauges slide out the front? Looks to me like the gauge might slide out but havent figured it out and don’t want to break anything. Also, any tips on wiring would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:51 PM

It bolts in from the back of the dash. Best advice I can offer is to remove the front seat, put down some heavy blankets (the studs that hold the seat in place will shred your back unless you have some padding!!) and be prepared to spend some time laying on your back. You I will need an assortment of 1/4 inch sockets, universals, and extensions to get to all the small bolts that hold it in place. Once everything is loose, the gauge slide out from the front. Lastly, you need to add a wire from the tach to the negative side of the coil. Good luck. The dashboards of the 68-69 cars are a pain to service

Last edited by matt69olds; September 17th, 2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks Matt. Saw a thread where a guy slid 2 thin plastic discs in between the dash pad and the gauge pod to get it to come out so I was thinking maybe I could do it all from the front. My wife does yoga everyday, maybe I can convince her that this is just as fun!
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by teamwieland
Just picked up an OEM tach off craigslist
No, you didn't. That's an aftermarket Sun tach that someone mounted in a Cutlass gauge bezel. The OEM tach looks like this:

Old September 17th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

From your second photo, it appears that whoever mounted that tach also manage to break off several of the mounting tabs on the back of the bezel.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Thanks Matt. Saw a thread where a guy slid 2 thin plastic discs in between the dash pad and the gauge pod to get it to come out so I was thinking maybe I could do it all from the front. My wife does yoga everyday, maybe I can convince her that this is just as fun!
A couple of thin frosting knives work as well. It's more difficult to get them out than back in.

& I agree with everything Matt said. Definitely remove the seat
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Thanks. If that picture above is the oem tach then thank goodness I didn’t get an oem one. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a clock in the middle of a tach!? Bezel looks ok to me but I can always use the existing one if there’s a problem. Tach looks much better in person than in the photo. I’ll yank the seat out and see what I can find. Hopefully the wires behind the blank gauge are right there waiting for an operational tach.
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks. If that picture above is the oem tach then thank goodness I didn’t get an oem one. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a clock in the middle of a tach!? Bezel looks ok to me but I can always use the existing one if there’s a problem. Tach looks much better in person than in the photo. I’ll yank the seat out and see what I can find. Hopefully the wires behind the blank gauge are right there waiting for an operational tach.
If you don't have a tach already the tach lead likely won't be there.

Old September 17th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Hopefully the wires behind the blank gauge are right there waiting for an operational tach.
They are not. The only wires you'll find are the orange power wire for the clock and the grey illumination wire (also for the clock). You'll need to run the trigger wire from the coil. You'll also need to run a separate ground wire. I'm not an expert on older Sun tachs. Hopefully this isn't one of the very old ones that uses a separate trigger box.
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a clock in the middle of a tach!?
You've apparently never heard the term "Tic-Toc-Tach"...